You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change image opacity

I'm curious as to why I can change the opacity of text and vector based objects but with an imported image the only way I can change its opacity is via a layer?

Looks like you can under the Effects panel, I was trying with the Opacity slider which I now see is part of the Colour palette so it makes sense.

Edited by Lindblad
Figured out what i was doing wrong

A useful shortcut: the number keys 1, 2, 3, through 0 can be used to quickly set opacity to 10%, 20%, 30% … 100%.

Also in Affinity terminology everything is a layer, so setting opacity in the layers panel is simply a way of setting the opacity of any object.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

10 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

A useful shortcut: the number keys 1, 2, 3, through 0 can be used to quickly set opacity to 10%, 20%, 30% … 100%.

You can also quickly type two number sequences like 22 or 67 to set opacity to those percentages & 100 to get back to 100%. (You have to type fairly quickly or it will be interpreted as two different opacity settings.)

This is particularly useful in the current beta build to avoid the bug where the Opacity slider in the Layers panel (among others) stays visible & won't go away until you restart the app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 9 months later...

Affinity again got the terminology wrong. Like in Designer. If everything is a layer, how do we place several things on a layer then? Never heard of objects? And objects then can stay together on one layer? 

Having objects call layer and missing real layers, that makes absolutely no sense.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, Thomahawk said:

Affinity again got the terminology wrong. Like in Designer. If everything is a layer, how do we place several things on a layer then? Never heard of objects? And objects then can stay together on one layer? 

Having objects call layer and missing real layers, that makes absolutely no sense.

None of that is actually what is going on. Designer has objects and layers. Objects' opacity can be set individually. Objects can be grouped and the group opacity can be set as well. Objects and groups all live on Layers, and their opacity can also be set. There is nothing in Designer's object/layers implementation which is "wrong".... 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

On 8/30/2018 at 6:59 PM, Aammppaa said:

Also in Affinity terminology everything is a layer, so setting opacity in the layers panel is simply a way of setting the opacity of any object.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, Thomahawk said:

You can also set Opacity via the Appearance Studio, albeit you'll be setting the colors opacity, not the object's opacity, which can only be set in the Layer studio. I've requested a more comprehensive Inspector studio, where ALL objects' properties, fills & strokes, transforms, effects, effects,  adjustments, live filters, etc are located in ONE panel, which is contextually-aware and updates its contents based on users' selection....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

On 6/27/2019 at 5:12 PM, Thomahawk said:

2038952355_Howmany.jpg.5db6a2caacc91a54a975f0d47fa3a5f6.jpg

How many?.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.