You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers don't work across pages

In the Layers panel each object gets its own layer. If I make a new layer then drag objects into that layer, the layer I created is not available on other pages. I think I like that I can manipulate master page items through the Layers panel even on document pages. so changes to master pages can be made in context. But the lack of a global layer is a problem.

Caveat: I have only spent about an hour in AP so far, so perhaps there is a feature I am overlooking or an underlying philosophy that I fail to grok.

It seems that layers are local to each page and not global per document.

Being able to assign a layer, for instance, for laser text and one for normal text makes it easy to switch off the laser text layer document wide when you output the page. This helps make sure that you have all the laser text correctly assigned.

I do a lot of direct mail design and artwork which needs the ability to separate normal preprinted text from the variable laser text. Global layers would also useful for putting other versions of the laser text on different named layers, thus keeping the different versions on the same base artwork.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.