You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spanish accents didn't work. FIXED on 1.7.0.58 release

Spanish accents didn't work.

Hi, first of all, thanks for this new app. I've been waiting for it for two years or so. It's now here and I'm very excited about it.

On my first text box, find a strange behavior, in spanish we use accents as part of our regular speaking and writting so we have on writing form - á - é - í - ó - ú

You get it by pulsing the accent key and then the vowel key.

When I write directly on Publsher and use the keyboard to add the accent to any vowel I get this:

´á - ´é - ´í - ´ó - ´ú

I always get the accent alone before the letter to be accented. I can go back and delete it, but that's something you cannot be doing while writing spanish.

Is not about language support inside publisher, becuase no other app does it, even if it's an app with english support only. So I think is a little bug right here.

It only happens when I write directly on Publisher.

Hope it can be fix.

Thanks again for this developement, eager to get buy the final version.

E.C.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 12.28.41 PM.png

I don't know if this would be an acceptable workaround for you for now, but on Macs when typing you should be able to hold down the keyboard key for characters that have accented versions for a second or two, & get a numbered popup menu of all the accented versions. You can then either type one of the numbers or click on an accented character to enter it.

If instead of the popup menu you get repetitions of the character, this can be changed system-wide. There are other ways to do it but if your are interested, I wrote a small AppleScript app that opens a dialog, tells you if the system is set to repeat or use accents, & has 2 buttons to either keep the current setting or change it. Anyone is welcome to use it if they want, or to recompile it as they see fit. The attached Repeat or use accents.zip contains both the app version & the script file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't know if this would be an acceptable workaround for you for now, but on Macs when typing you should be able to hold down the keyboard key for characters that have accented versions for a second or two, & get a numbered popup menu of all the accented versions. You can then either type one of the numbers or click on an accented character to enter it.

Great!  

There is another way to get these accents.  Go to TEXT>SHOW GLYPH BROWSER and you will get a panel that you can drag over onto your workspace near your document.  You can choose your font face, etc. and then scroll through all available type alternatives -- including necessary accented characters.  In your document you type until you reach the accented character you want, find it in your Glyphs panel, double click on it, and it will show up on your document.  It will also be included as a greyed out  character at the bottom of the Glyphs panel.  The next time you want to use the same accented character, just move over  to the Glyphs panel, and double click on it. Works like a charm.  Hope this description is not as clear as mud.   But it works!!!  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 8/30/2018 at 6:51 PM, R C-R said:

If instead of the popup menu you get repetitions of the character, this can be changed system-wide. There are other ways to do it but if your are interested, I wrote a small AppleScript app that opens a dialog, tells you if the system is set to repeat or use accents, & has 2 buttons to either keep the current setting or change it. Anyone is welcome to use it if they want, or to recompile it as they see fit. The attached Repeat or use accents.zip contains both the app version & the script file.

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

There is another way to get these accents.  Go to TEXT>SHOW GLYPH BROWSER and you will get a panel that you can drag over onto your workspace near your document.  You can choose your font face, etc. and then scroll through all available type alternatives -- including necessary accented characters.  In your document you type until you reach the accented character you want, find it in your Glyphs panel, double click on it, and it will show up on your document.  It will also be included as a greyed out  character at the bottom of the Glyphs panel.  The next time you want to use the same accented character, just move over  to the Glyphs panel, and double click on it. Works like a charm.  Hope this description is not as clear as mud.   But it works!!!  

Both methods works but I think I will be writing on text edit and do the classic "copy-paste". Thanks anyway!!

• 1 month later...

Dear Affinity developers,

The Spanish tilde do not work on my keyboard with Affinity Publisher, but well with about 20 other paid or free tools that I am using (Text, PDF, Image, DAM, CAD , etc)

The same issue exists with Affinity Photo

It is not convenient to import some characters that Affinity is not able to produce by typing what you see on your keyboard. Or to use complicated  Alt Gr functions.
IBM, Microsoft and Mac OSes have solved this 40 years ago, at least for all the caharcters sown on a keyboard. Symbols are of course another story

If you create a new document, direct typing into Affinity  is a very convenient approach.

Some French accents do not work too (on French French, Swiss French and Belgium French keyboards)

Cursor behaviour should also been tested with Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, etc)  Spelling and hyphenation checking should be tested long before launch as well before launch; in a controlled manner, i.e. Affinity to provide a subset of usable spelling checkers. Manual Hunspell download is prone for user mistakes, hence misleading and time wasting for developers.

Regards, Philippe

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, jmwellborn said:

This worked great--thanks!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.