You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying text from Indesign to Publisher

• Staff

@chans.serif

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Can either of you please provide an indesign file that behaves this way on paste. Please do not add any file that has sensitive or copyrighted contents.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this same thing happen. I had reported previously that I was able to copy and paste an entire page from ID into APub and it came over almost perfectly. That was very encouraging. But today I was trying a different A4 doc that we routinely modify and send out as a pdf. In this case, I opened the ID file, copied everything, then pasted that into the newly created APub doc (v58). 

Unfortunately, this time every line of text came over as a separate text frame. And I doubt there is an easy way to join them back together.

I then tried to copy just a full text box from ID and paste into the APub doc, but it again converted it into a text frame for each line of text.

I then created a new blank text frame in the APub doc, copied the text itself in ID, then pasted that into the APub text frame, which worked.

Not sure why it did not work correctly this time. I can't remember if when I did it with a fairly complex ID file and it worked fine if it was possibly with the first beta. Thus don't know at this point if it is an issue with this particular ID file or with APub 58.

Discouraging since it had worked so well before in the previous testing.

PS - Does the same thing when importing an ID-generated pdf of that ID doc.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Just tried it with another ID document and have the same results. All ID text blocks are coming in as individual lines of text. I'm suspecting that this is different from the first beta because I had copied/pasted from an ID file and it all came in pretty well perfect with text blocks, etc. 

Hopefully will be fixed in the next release. I had been encouraged that we could bring in legacy ID files, but now it won't really work with multi-page docs and a lot of text blocks. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Just downloaded the newest beta (128) and the copy/past and importing a pdf into APub is still broken for me. Copy/pasting or Placing a pdf still brings in text as single lines of text instead of the text blocks from the ID file. 

I know it worked fine in the first beta, so not sure what is wrong. Are others having this issue or is it a local problem? The first beta had me thinking we could go ahead and start using APub using the copy-paste from old ID files, but with that not working, can't really use it at all right now.

I even trashed the previous beta prefs, etc., but still have the problem. Anyone else have it working on a Mac where copy/paste brings in the correct text blocks?

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.