You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Importing/Opening Adobe In Design Files

Ultimately  I would like to completely migrate from Adobe InDesign and never use it again. I have far too many active files created in InDesign that I would want to be able to Open and work on in Affinity Publisher.  I have completely stopped using PS CS 6 now that I have Affinity Photo and would hope the same can happen with InDesign/Affinity Publisher. Like so many, I am so over Adobe and their Licensing model.  

Floyd

I just realized you can't import, or open indesign files... And then you don't have the option to export them either... 

I work as a freelance designer who is required to have indesign backup files for everything I do for this one client so they can access in house, or send to another designer down the road. 

I won't be switching to publisher until I can fully export to a indesign file... At least not full time that is

You can't even import text boxes properly... It puts all the text into separate boxes and not connected in paragraphs or sentences. 

As INDD is a closed format – other than AI and PSD – there is no reasonable way for the developers to make an import option for INDD.
However they could make import option for IDML, which is an open format. QuarkXpress did that in their latest update. But this would mean that you would have to export every single InDesign Document as IDML. 

Yes! I would love IDML support! I've read rumors in the past this might happen, but would love feedback from someone more official on the matter.

I'm currently not in any situation where I have to deliver INDD files, but it would be lovely to convert my ID files like I have my AI files - even if a little extra cleanup is involved, it's worth it.

Designer can export to SVG - would be lovely if Publisher could export to IDML.