You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed is lacking

There is a bleed option in Document Setup, but there is no apparent way to actually see this area in the document. For example, in InDesign when the bleed area is set there is a red box around the document area showing the bleed area.

Also related: Publisher doesn't appear to have a page edge or guide. For example, I draw a rectangle and fill it with orange, then bleed it off the edge of the document. I can now no longer tell where the edge of the page is because the orange rectangle is on top of the page edge. In InDesign, each page has an edge that is "always on top" so you always see the boundaries of the page. The bleed guides work the same way.

And also there seems to be no gutter bleed. I am making a photo book project and I want to use bleed. I can work around the not knowing how far the bleed goes with enlarging the picture frame by the bleed size. But if both images go in the gutter the, one is going to overflow the other. Maybe this is a problem that the spread pdf cannot be exported as single pages...

I'm assured in another thread that bleed will be done properly in the next beta release. They may even get it sorted in Designer (after a piffling four years). Which is all well and good, but it makes you wonder what Serif are playing at: bleed should not be an afterthought when you're aiming your products at professionals.