You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workspace?

Obviously, every person works differently. Is there a way to save your workspace?  It would be a shame if you spend all this time customizing all the panels (studio) just right and lose all those settings. This is especially important if you need to have different workspaces for different workflows. 

Side note:  Putting panels under something called "Studio" is very confusing. 

Hear, hear. They've been bombarded with this request for years now. I don't know what the problem is--shouldn't be too difficult to "save the state" of the program. But we can hope, they can wish, and disappointment's a dirty lowdown dish.

Beginning to believer be, in all things Affinity.

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

Hi erickp

We do not have the ability to save workspace configurations, but the app should remember where you placed the UI before you close the app.

The panels full title are Studio Panels so from that perspective it makes a bit more sense

Thanks

In that case, just asking, why isn't the full name spelt out in in the drop-down? There is room because you have 'Show Baseline Grid Manager' that is much longer than just 'Studio'. Personally, I prefer the term 'Window' as per InDesign, which is more intuitive for a computer user than 'Studio'.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

22 hours ago, erickp said:

Obviously, every person works differently. Is there a way to save your workspace?  It would be a shame if you spend all this time customizing all the panels (studio) just right and lose all those settings. This is especially important if you need to have different workspaces for different workflows. 

Also if you need to migrate your workspace to another computer this would help a lot.

And it is very frustrating when the app crashes and you lose all your workspace settings (happens sometimes).

iMac 27" with macOS Mojave (German)

Although APub does remember your previous settings, there is that real possibility as mentioned that the app crashes and you lose those settings. Then there is the issue of migrating and carrying over those workspace settings. And last by not least, the fact that many people have different workspaces depending on the type of work/project they are currently working on. This is definitely a must from day one. You can't cover all the features of an app like InDesign right out of the gate but coming damn close will make this app a worthy alternative. 

As far as the issue with "Studio Panels", I would totally spell it out at the very least. I'm not a fan of the term "windows" (sorry @GRH ) ;), but panels are appropriate within an application.   If you want to be cool, then perhaps call them "S-Panels".  Sound sleek and fast. LOL!   

All this commenting is mainly because I really like what you guys/gals are doing over there and we need you in the space more than ever. Thanks! 

12 hours ago, GRH said:

In that case, just asking, why isn't the full name spelt out in in the drop-down?

Just guessing but it is probably because short menu item names are generally considered quicker & easier for most people to identify & locate in a long list of menu items than longer ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Also if you work with two monitors it might happen that the second screen is disconnected (e.g. from touching the cable)  and all of your panels are pushed to the primary monitor. And you have to rearrange all the panels.

The possibility of saving workspaces is mandatory.

iMac 27" with macOS Mojave (German)

On 8/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, erickp said:

Agreed. Should be able to do so via profiles e.g. Many reason like several workstations, send in to repair, setting up the OS again, getting a new machine...

38 minutes ago, stmartin said:

Also if you work with two monitors it might happen that the second screen is disconnected (e.g. from touching the cable)  and all of your panels are pushed to the primary monitor. And you have to rearrange all the panels.

The possibility of saving workspaces is mandatory.

Completely agree!

Besides the missing ability to save individual option pane positions: imho the use of two monitors appears to force application crashes and makes the ability of saveable window positions more necessary. (see also  window/pane positions )

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 9 months later...

Was this somehow integrated? As the Beta expired now, I don't even have a reference and have to indvidualize my whole workspace again (which I had to do several times in the beta). This is very annoying because I have to do it on two computers. Is there a file somewhere in the Library folder on Mac where the states of the studio windows is stored I might be able to use? Same goes for designer and photo.

• 1 month later...

I am facing one problem with workspaces, every time I try a beta version it resets the workspace and I need to setup again my workspace.

Also it seems that I need to reinstall all add-ons with new versions , is this correct ?

It can not be the correct way to work.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

2 minutes ago, DesignT said:

I am facing one problem with workspaces, every time I try a beta version it resets the workspace and I need to setup again my workspace.

Also it seems that I need to reinstall all add-ons with new versions , is this correct ?

The retail version and the beta version keep their settings separate, so if you've changed the workspace arrangement in the retail version, or installed add-ons, those changes would not affect the beta version. Similarly changes you make in the beta version would not affect the retail version.

But the beta version should remember the workspace configuration and add-ons from the prior beta version, and installing a new customer beta version shouldn't lose anything from the prior customer beta. (One possible exception: I'm not sure whether the settings from the public beta carried over into the customer beta. But changes you make in one customer beta should carry over to the next customer beta.)

It works that way on Windows, at least, and I've never heard that it works differently on Mac.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure whether the settings from the public beta carried over into the customer beta. But changes you make in one customer beta should carry over to the next customer beta.

The settings were exactly as I left them on the public beta when I first launched the customer beta on the Mac. All studio panels & assets were still there.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.