You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

line numbering

@Rylek this works so long as the line numbers reset at the start of each page. Not so good is you want to number every line in a 50 page book. 

Note : you can even use a numbered list on the master page to save typing, and to react to changes in text size and line spacing. 

Wonder if there is some 'clever' way to use auto numbering of sections or chapters that would treat each line as a new chapter and thus keep counting across multiple pages?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@Aammppaa  but the do restart  on each page (its only a small text frame with no numbered list), im doing something like this on every project that i work. After i create layout of course :) If i need to change baseline i return to master page and add missing line numbers/delete to many.

If i need add another master page i only copy 2 text frame :)

linenumbering.thumb.JPG.60a3009b0d61a6cb2a1065d467a87751.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These are really good suggestions and should do the trick for a less complex layout.

However, for teaching purposes worksheets will contain a few text frames, each with a two- or three column text. Those texts are often extracts students will read and discuss in class. These texts then should have line numbers, possibly with a modifiable interval (e.g. every fifth line) to make it easier to refer to specific sections. Other elements of the worksheet page may be tasks, pictures or maybe a second text frame with another text extract. So, an automated way for columns in a text frame to have line numbers would be really useful!

Thanks,

Frank

(Another teacher looking for a great alternative to expensive existing solutions)

Unbenannt.PNG

• 3 months later...

If/when Serif provides scripting support, line numbering might be able to be added to existing text. It's possibly doable with JavaScript*. Maybe.

I have done numbering similar to frank18's example (every five lines/paragraphs), though not for teaching materials (poetry, actually).  But not exactly like frank18's example. That is, I have not had to deal with a mix of hard returns and word wrapped paragraphs and have the lines numbered properly in that mix.

*The script I use numbers every X number of discrete lines AND/OR paragraphs. I use a text editor with its JavaScript and Perl expressions, the text editor has no real concept of paragraphs, only lines which, if long enough, wraps in the layout but it obviously doesn't know where that is.

• 6 months later...

I do agree. Line numbering is a must both in classroom settings and in proofreading (before actual print-outs).  Sometimes, when printing out fliers, brochures, or handouts for educational purposes, for easy communications, we hope to see line numbers.

I hope this feature could be added soon.
That will make this software suit more purposes.

• 8 months later...