You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting print ready pdfs

Hi Affinity Team

The new Publisher is looking very promising - well done.

Agree with previous posters that visible bleed guides is a must.

Also can't find any serious pdf export functionality? In particular the ability to define commercial printer friendly formats like pdfx1a? Is that coming later?

And the ability to adjust the keyboard shortcuts for adjusting tracking would be nice - I like to adjust tracking by very small amounts, current tool seems rather crude, leaps in tracking so vast the shortcut is useless. 

• Staff

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum

4 minutes ago, tsp1965 said:

In particular the ability to define commercial printer friendly formats like pdfx1a?

In the PDF export dialog there is a preset option including PDFX-1A-2003, PDFX-3-2003 and PDFX-4. Are these not in your build?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Click on the 'More' button at the bottom of the PDF export dialogue and it's under the 'Compatibility' drop down as per AP and AD... or as Patrick says, there is a preset option which you can again select from the 'Preset' dropdown.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

My current projects involve exporting color projects for black and white POD production. Even if you specify grayscale for a new document – and the imported color images display in  grayscale – they still export to the PDF in color.

Never mind – the answer you posted while I was typing solves that problem!

Edited by Barry_Edmiston

13 hours ago, tsp1965 said:

Also can't find any serious pdf export functionality? In particular the ability to define commercial printer friendly formats like pdfx1a? Is that coming later?

13 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

In the PDF export dialog there is a preset option including PDFX-1A-2003, PDFX-3-2003 and PDFX-4. Are these not in your build?

I agree with tsp1965.

Pre-press tools are going to be the make or break Affinity Publisher for all the Quark and InDesign peeps looking for an alternative.

These are crucial to our work for press. Without them no matter how good the application it becomes pointless without them.

Most of my print work requires specific me to output pdfs with particular options and profiles so I can get the highest quality result for the stock off the press.

I would like to see a little more flexibility in the pdf output options and the ability to import pdf settings and press profiles that come from printers and standards organisations.

Some publishers wont accept files that don't meet their profile standards, or if they do they just apply their profiles to them, meaning I have no control over the result.

This is a new app so maybe I haven't quite got my head around it yet.

Hi

Re PDF export, as Patrick says, it is there, if a little tricky to find. What I've found is that the main pdf export dialogue doesn't offer many options, you have to go to more to get the options. You can then create a new preset based on one of the existing ones and save it. You'd expect the new preset to appear on the main dialogue dropdown, but it doesn't, and nor does its name display on that when you selected it in the detail box (the box is blank if you haven't selected one of the options it recognises). So the functionality is there but needs a bit of post-beta streamlining.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.