For the benefit of anyone newly joining this discussion, layers exclusively being at the document level is not going to happen.

Document-wide "global" layers in some form will almost certainly be added eventually, but we don't know when yet.

The three applications in the Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) share a common file format, and prior to Publisher they did not support multi-page documents.

The current layer concept is an extension of the layers that were already present in Designer and Photo before Publisher came about.  These layers are perfect for those applications and to disregard them would make those applications far less useful, so for compatibility reasons they will obviously remain present in Publisher.

What I could see happening is an option in preferences that simply keeps the layers collapsed underneath the top level and does not automatically expand them to show layers as they are created or selected (I think this might actually be there already?)  and with global layers being introduced I would certainly hope that newly-added page-level layers would be organized underneath them consistently so this would mimic the way they currently behave in InDesign, for example, which also allows you to expand the document-level layers to see the individual objects on the page.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, fde101 said:

For the benefit of anyone newly joining this discussion, layers exclusively being at the document level is not going to happen.

Document-wide "global" layers in some form will almost certainly be added eventually, but we don't know when yet.

The three applications in the Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) share a common file format, and prior to Publisher they did not support multi-page documents.

The current layer concept is an extension of the layers that were already present in Designer and Photo before Publisher came about.  These layers are perfect for those applications and to disregard them would make those applications far less useful, so for compatibility reasons they will obviously remain present in Publisher.

What I could see happening is an option in preferences that simply keeps the layers collapsed underneath the top level and does not automatically expand them to show layers as they are created or selected (I think this might actually be there already?)  and with global layers being introduced I would certainly hope that newly-added page-level layers would be organized underneath them consistently so this would mimic the way they currently behave in InDesign, for example, which also allows you to expand the document-level layers to see the individual objects on the page.

This is a huge disappointment. I agree that innovation is a desirable thing. But, as other pointed out, basic features like global layers, used for ages in other DP apps, should be taken seriously into consideration. I really regret investing my money in Publisher. I guess I'm stuck with Indesign after all. Really sad.

And that is not the only gripe I have with Publisher. I won't go into all of them. The layers issue is big enough for me. But the styles sheets and color palettes are also problematic and confusing. Or at least over complicated.

I didn't start with DP yesterday. I work on this before computers were used in art departments, for crying out loud. And have been using DP since the early nineties. So, I kind of know a couple of things about what is expected from a desktop publishing app. I see the logic behind the single document concept that Serif took. But that just don't work for everything.

Best of luck.

13 minutes ago, mbuchichio said:

as other pointed out, basic features like global layers, used for ages in other DP apps, should be taken seriously into consideration

Whoa, go back and read again: the Serif team has all but confirmed that they do intend to implement "global layers" as we have taken to calling them in some future version of Publisher.

What I was responding to was the notion that someone seemed to be suggesting that it ONLY have global layers, and that is what will not happen - the program will ultimately need to support BOTH types in some manner.

I agree with much of what you said mbuchichio. But I don't regret buying Publisher since we've been promised some improvements in certain areas like layers, before version 2 arrives. So I wouldn't count Publisher out just yet. I currently just use it for little projects at home. I would never use it in a professional environment like the kind of work I do at a print shop.