You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide frame edges / Preview

Actually in order to get a true preview mode you have to 1) hide guides and 2) clip canvas. I think it makes more sense to have an all encompassing preview mode a la InDesign (that's one thing Adobe actually got right and probably something most designers have come to expect). I'm sure it's a simple coding fix ... make Clip Canvas the all around preview mode. 

Yep. Should be a single key available by default that hides every type of visual aid or guide that is not a part of the content. Tap key a second time to bring back the working view. I use this constantly and would be pretty frustating to have to replace it with multiple menu options and shortcuts. Please set up a global / catch-all setting for this.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it quite useful to have the dual option actually. I've changed my keyboard shortcut to "w" for the hide all guides, and to "/" for hiding the pasteboard. Sometimes it's nice to work on a clean page but useful to be able to see the information i have on the pasteboard that i still need to bring into the layout. 

• 2 years later...

I don't get it. So you can hide some of the guides, but if you have a square background or a box without anything you get the X across ALL the time?? Is there no way to hide it? Thanks! 

Also, how do you change the keyboard shortcuts, as in: how do you apply the Command Apple key to the shortcut? what's the symbol? it only recognizes the letters or numbers, but not shift or Command... Thanks!!

Edited by evp

29 minutes ago, evp said:

I don't get it. So you can hide some of the guides, but if you have a square background or a box without anything you get the X across ALL the time?? Is there no way to hide it? Thanks! 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

That sounds like you're describing emptu Picture Frames in Publisher. Preview Mode hides those for me. (And note that you're reading and replying to a topic that is over 2 years old. Some things may have changed in that time.)

29 minutes ago, evp said:

Also, how do you change the keyboard shortcuts, as in: how do you apply the Command Apple key to the shortcut? what's the symbol? it only recognizes the letters or numbers, but not shift or Command... Thanks!!

That's unrelated to this topic, and would be better asked in a different (or new) topic in the Questions forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

I know this thread's been going a while, but I've been searching how to turn off text frame outlines which I find distracting. Do I understand correctly that the only way to hide the frame is to hide all nonprinting items/guides?

Turn off View > Show Text Flow and the frame outlines will disappear when they're not selected.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 months later...