You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have gone through a set up for a newsletter with two master pages. The first is the front page with a top title etc and about 2/3 to 3/4 of the page as two column text. The pages have a rectangular background so they can be coloured. I can insert text into the two columns on the front page and it over flows. I try to paste the over-flow into a two column text frame on the second page using the little triangle but it always pastes into the backgound coloured rectangle and will not let me select an existing empty text frame. It does the same regardless of one or two column text frame.

Dave Wilcox

Same here. I read help, but not helped next informations, I didn't find Flow button at the bottom-right of text frame...

To autoflow text into a new single text frame:

• Click the Flow button at the bottom-right edge of the overflowing text frame with the pressed.

The text frame is created on a new page with the same dimensions and properties as the original overlapping text frame. Note that the text frame may still have overflowing text.

To autoflow text into multiple new text frames:

• Click the Flow button at the bottom-right edge of the overflowing text frame with the pressed.

Text frames, of same dimensions and properties, are created on multiple new pages until text overflow no longer occurs.

Hi Dave Wilcox

You should be able to click on the flow arrow on the side of the text frame which will give you the cursor with a link next to it then hover over any existing text frame which will then be highlighted blue and then click to flow into that frame and link the two. You can also draw out a new text frame to flow into after clicking on the flow arrow. 

The flow arrow is the one highlighted in the image below

image.thumb.png.ee1cbe5950984344a4cae0b3f7829169.png

If this is not the case for you can you provide an example that shows the issue you are seeing

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Ok, I found this arrow, but with this tool I make a new frame on next page. Ok, but I have a 512 pages book text. In PagePlus can I use Auto-Flow, and expand text and create new pages automatically. Not manually linking per page... And frame size was same as parent frame. Can Publisher this feature?

On 8/31/2018 at 12:03 PM, Chris_K said:

You should be able to click on the flow arrow on the side of the text frame which will give you the cursor with a link next to it then hover over any existing text frame which will then be highlighted blue and then click to flow into that frame and link the two. You can also draw out a new text frame to flow into after clicking on the flow arrow. 

The flow arrow is the one highlighted in the image below

Hi Chris_K

I have set up two master pages one a frontpage and one for every other page of a newsletter. I have not put any frames on the master pages other than background on both and items specific to the frontpage. I go to the normal pages and all appears well and they show as per the masters. I insert a text frame onto the frontpage and set it to two columns, insert holding text, all seems fine. I select the text flow arrow head as you have shown, and go to the second page. On opening the page the backgound frame is selected and the text will only flow into there, it will not let me draw a text frame. I am wondering if this is something I am doing from PPX which behaves differently in AffinityPub. Don't know if the pictures help as they don't really show a lot.

Dave Wilcox

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Update: If I remove the background colour rectangle from the master page and leave it blank then when I click the text flow and go to page two it will let me draw a two column text frame and fill it with text as well. It would appear to be interpreting the colour filled box as a text frame I think. Hope this helps.

Dave Wilcox

Some problem here: if there is a background colour rectangle, the flow text function will not "recognize"/"detect" any text frame over it. Only the background is interpreted as text frame. If I move the background apart, the flow text function works correctly.

Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.58
Windows 10 Home, version 1803, build 17134.228

Matteo

serif pub beta 2.JPG

serif pub beta 1.JPG

yes, this is also my personal experience.

I attach my two test files, one with the background in the masterpage and one without masterpage: the behaviour of the flow text tool is the same in both cases.

10 hours ago, Dave Wilcox said:

This any good? I used the work around of removing background and doing text flow which worked okay and then pasted the background back. Hopefully if you try to extend the text you will see the problem. It appears that the text gets pasted to the master page as well for some reason.

NMFCNewsletterTest.afpub

test1-no_masterpage.afpub

test1-masterpage.afpub

• 3 weeks later...

Just downloaded version 1.7.0.133 (beta) the text flow does now work in the frames as you would expect. However there is still a slight problem. When I click on the overflow to take the frame to the next page, it will not create the frame if the pointer is over the page, it still highlights the backgound colour box. If I put the pointer off the page it will allow me to create the required text frame which can then be moved into position on the page. This is with the same pages I uploaded above. I still need to check if it does the same with a new document created by the latest version and will update when I have done so.

Hi all

This is basically because your background on your master pages are text frames not just rectangles. Changes are you added a shape but then clicked on it with the frame text tool whihc converts shapes to shape text. For some reason it is not following the z order of the document which i shall have to look at. Easiest way to solve this is remove the background and change it for a shape instead

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.