Chris,

I admire your ingenuity of suggestions for a work around which may well be needed, but I think it misses the thrust of the thread. Getting content into a program by a convoluted path is not the same as having a native file importer. For example PagePlus master pages and hierarchical text styles have no equivalent in the intermediate epub epd pdf or rtf formats. Consequently a file in Affinity Publisher that has been through another file format may look the same/similar to the PagePlus original, but it would not have the same integrity and objects as if it was made using Affinity Publisher objects. It would lose much of it's editability by going through any intermediate format (including our recommended path of PDF).

No other company is ever going to make a PagePlus file importer, so these customers are rightly explaining and appealing to us to reconsider. They do not consider it a waste of time as it is the only chance they will get their existing files into Affinity Publisher "intact" or as designed. I would argue that the time and effort it would take to write such a convertor is not worth it in relation to the many other things that could be done instead, and that as PagePlus still functions that the number of documents that "need" conversion is smaller than some think. NOTE: Even a native file importer would not work 100% as there are no Affinity Publisher equivalents of many of the objects in a PagePlus document.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

I'm wondering how designed some of these old files are, Publisher has master pages and seems really easy to create layouts. PPP users seem to be wanting to import documents instead of layouts. That doesn't seem a great way forward. 

It's kind of like how word can be used to create a well formatted document but can also be filled with lots of local formatting spaces and tabs to create a really horrible document.

If what you are doing works for you in page plus carry on with it. For indesign users its costing them every month to be stuck with indesign.  

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

NOTE: Even a native file importer would not work 100% as there are no Affinity Publisher equivalents of many of the objects in a PagePlus document.

I imagine that most users pushing for a native PagePlus file importer wouldn’t expect it to work 100%. We already have a situation where later versions of PagePlus introduced new objects that earlier versions can’t read, but recent versions can mostly open files saved from later versions and simply discard what they don’t understand; I believe an exception to this is opening X9 files in X5, which doesn’t seem to work at all.

2 minutes ago, blackest said:

If what you are doing works for you in page plus carry on with it.

That’s good advice in general, but it doesn’t help users who, having switched to a Mac from a Windows PC, want to avoid the trouble and expense of installing Windows on the Mac.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

34 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I would argue that the time and effort it would take to write such a convertor is not worth it in relation to the many other things that could be done instead, and that as PagePlus still functions that the number of documents that "need" conversion is smaller than some think. NOTE: Even a native file importer would not work 100% as there are no Affinity Publisher equivalents of many of the objects in a PagePlus document.

Patrick, this may or may not be true, but whereas I have frequently recommended Serif as a company in the past, I now will only do so if trust can be rebuilt. You forget the truism that says that every complainant tells ten people, whereas the same is far from true for satisfied customers.
You also overlook the fact that at some point in the future we now know that PP will cease to function with Serif's deliberate policies and external influences. What would be the point of creating new documents? At present AP is NOT as good by a country mile, and I have tried to import a PDF file to recreate a document. The text turns out, if I transfer to a word processor, to be in single line paragraphs, which is not helpful, and formatted (ie lengths) as in the pdf file. It cannot be a good or probably workable way to import anything more complicated than a leaflet with four pages - if that.

Serif has made a decision. It may have been for good commercial or technical reasons, but it is a decision that is alienating a significant user base.

6 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

At present AP is NOT as good by a country mile, and I have tried to import a PDF file to recreate a document. The text turns out, if I transfer to a word processor, to be in single line paragraphs, which is not helpful, and formatted (ie lengths) as in the pdf file. It cannot be a good or probably workable way to import anything more complicated than a leaflet with four pages - if that.

It would be good if we had an importer for native WritePlus *.stt files so that we could import entire ‘stories’ with their existing formatting intact, but it doesn’t look as though this is something that Serif intends to provide.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I imagine that most users pushing for a native PagePlus file importer wouldn’t expect it to work 100%. We already have a situation where later versions of PagePlus introduced new objects that earlier versions can’t read, but recent versions can mostly open files saved from later versions and simply discard what they don’t understand; I believe an exception to this is opening X9 files in X5, which doesn’t seem to work at all.

That’s good advice in general, but it doesn’t help users who, having switched to a Mac from a Windows PC, want to avoid the trouble and expense of installing Windows on the Mac.

Serif never made page plus for the Mac and never said they would. If you don't care to install windows on a mac, (it does work quite well in a VM to be fair) run Windows on a PC. 

Lets say for example Affinity Publisher was to support page+, when does it get to stop supporting it?  As has been mentioned earlier there are objects in page+ which do not map to Affinity Publisher, the only way to map them in is to add to affinity publishers code base and only because of windows users who want to press a button and import an alien file format. The end result will be a buggy slow application.    

2 minutes ago, blackest said:

Serif never made page plus for the Mac and never said they would. If you don't care to install windows on a mac, (it does work quite well in a VM to be fair) run Windows on a PC. 

Lets say for example Affinity Publisher was to support page+, when does it get to stop supporting it?  As has been mentioned earlier there are objects in page+ which do not map to Affinity Publisher, the only way to map them in is to add to affinity publishers code base and only because of windows users who want to press a button and import an alien file format. The end result will be a buggy slow application.    

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not counting myself among those who are pushing for a PP importer, although on a re-read of my previous posts I can see why you might think I am. If I ever get a Mac (and I have been sorely tempted, particularly in the light of what Microsoft have been doing with Windows 10 lately!) I wouldn’t discard my old Windows machine.

Alfred online2long.gif

22 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

Patrick, this may or may not be true, but whereas I have frequently recommended Serif as a company in the past, I now will only do so if trust can be rebuilt. You forget the truism that says that every complainant tells ten people, whereas the same is far from true for satisfied customers.
You also overlook the fact that at some point in the future we now know that PP will cease to function with Serif's deliberate policies and external influences. What would be the point of creating new documents? At present AP is NOT as good by a country mile, and I have tried to import a PDF file to recreate a document. The text turns out, if I transfer to a word processor, to be in single line paragraphs, which is not helpful, and formatted (ie lengths) as in the pdf file. It cannot be a good or probably workable way to import anything more complicated than a leaflet with four pages - if that.

Serif has made a decision. It may have been for good commercial or technical reasons, but it is a decision that is alienating a significant user base.

Totally agree...

27 minutes ago, MJWHM said:

At present AP is NOT as good....

So given where we are I believe Serif need to concentrate on adding functionality and features to Affinity Publisher not a PagePlus importer, or else you would just be able to open your PagePlus documents in a new program that you don't wish to use or recommend either. I think you are asking for both improvements and an importer, but good developers are hard to get.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

So given where we are I believe Serif need to concentrate on adding functionality and features to Affinity Publisher not a PagePlus importer, or else you would just be able to open your PagePlus documents in a new program that you don't wish to use or recommend either. I think you are asking for both improvements and an importer, but good developers are hard to get.

I will stick with improvements, rather than legacy support. Has page plus development finished? 

40 minutes ago, blackest said:

I will stick with improvements, rather than legacy support. Has page plus development finished? 

Speak for yourself. I have just published two major books with PP and it would be great to be able to import them into APUB and not run two programs in parallel. Patrick the issue is not so much "Please add the PP import functionality" into APUB but to build a utility/plugin. Yes you are right for future we won't need this however by separating the import functionality, you will not need to add "Unnecessary" code to APUB. This importer can even be a converter. Do you see what I am getting at?

Patrick,

I agree with you. I experimented for some time with the method I suggested and it is simply impossible to get good results with that workaround. When I have a problem or something which doesn't work as expected, in whatever application, I always look for a way around the problem. At the end of the day, I have to make the job done.

My suggestion didn't work out and I admit that. Also for myself as also for Serif, a PagePlus importer/convertor is not on my list too. In this case, it seems a feedback loop we are in. People looking to their problem as if it is not solvable without importer/convertor. I am sure when they invest the same effort to find a workaround as the energy they waste by complaining here, somebody will come up with a way that works.

The first limitation on this moment is that Publisher doesn't have templates. A template is an empty framework of a publications on which you can built many other publications. I know it is not the same but lets say creating an empty Publisher document containing all the necessary styles and base objects could be a good start. Later when Publisher supports templates, we can convert that empty document into a template.

When I have long text, I always write that in a wordprocessor. Personally I am using Atlantis Wordprocessor for that which is an excellent tool for writing long texts. So when the framework of the book is completed, at least you can import the text and format it.

I know this all is a lot of work, but it has the advantage that your book or publication is completely ready for the future. Even if there was an PagePlus importer/convertor, still there should be quirks left over. Even when I import my docx documents from Atlantis to Jutoh, there are things which are not going well.

It is also said over and over again, that PagePlus will not stop working overnight. So if someone really wants to remain using PagePlus, keep with Windows 7 or the present Windows 10 and do not update. In this way, you can remain using PagePlus for years to come.

Chris

2 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

do not update. In this way, you can remain using PagePlus for years to come.

Chris

Still use Win 8.1 on my working Desktop :)

Serif Software user since 2008 | Not an active forum user since July 4, 2019 after getting a nice response from Developer.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:41 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@BtB

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thank you for your suggestion

We do not have a roadmap of future features for Affinity Publisher but I am sure your request would be popular with our legacy software userbase. You will need to export as PDF and import or try copy paste for now.

No roadmap!!  No future

8 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

No other company is ever going to make a PagePlus file importer,

Is that because Serif have asked and no company has offered or have Serif just not bothered to ask the question?.

7 hours ago, MJWHM said:

You also overlook the fact that at some point in the future we now know that PP will cease to function with Serif's deliberate policies and external influences.

Why would Serif want to do this???.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It's an opinion, I am happy to be proven wrong. 

May be someday, some time ....

3.jpg

Serif Software user since 2008 | Not an active forum user since July 4, 2019 after getting a nice response from Developer.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

There you go, happy to have been proven wrong. 

Ha Ha..... 

I had a lots of very bad experience with converter/importer earlier.

So, a big no :)

10 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It's an opinion, I am happy to be proven wrong. 

Let's imagine just for a minute that a company approaches Serif and says that they wish to develop a progran/utility/plugin etc to convert a pageplus file so that Affinity can open it.

Would Serif be willing (bearing in mind code protection etc) to release the nessecary information  to a third party?.

3 minutes ago, PubGuy said:

Let's imagine just for a minute that a company approaches Serif and says that they wish to develop a progran/utility/plugin etc to convert a pageplus file so that Affinity can open it.

Would Serif be willing (bearing in mind code protection etc) to release the nessecary information  to a third party?.

The format is not documented and the code is not releasable as I have explained, so my guess is no

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.