You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open PagePlus (*.ppp) files

• Staff

@BtB

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thank you for your suggestion

We do not yet have a public roadmap of future features for Affinity Publisher but I am sure your request would be popular with our legacy software userbase. You will need to export as PDF and import or try copy paste for now.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Yes, agreed very much. Those of us who have been very loyal Serrif users (for decades!) should not be forgotten. I am really surprised that you did not think of this right from the start, especially given the similarity of design and layour of your new Publisher. It means those of us with legacy documents that might be very important will have to maintain PagePlus and the new Publisher. So please don't just put this on the backburner, but get on and implement it.

It was clear to me from the initial announcement of the Affinity range legacy Windows customers are of far less concern than Mac users. It’s all about the Apple customer base. 

They'll tell you the codebase is so different that backwards compatibility is not possible. True but the real answer is “ it would cost us too much time and money to build a file converter utility”

It looks like you just continue to use X9 for those documents and decide if you want to buy AD for new ones  

Just now, beegeeblueboy said:

It was clear to me from the initial announcement of the Affinity range legacy Windows customers are of far less concern than Mac users. It’s all about the Apple customer base. 

They'll tell you the codebase is so different that backwards compatibility is not possible. True but the real answer is ‘it would cost us too much time and money to build a file converter utility

It looks like you just continue to use X9 for those documents and decide if you want to buy AD for new ones  

I would add that Serif’s decision on WebPlus was commercially sound so I have not gripes on that. MoviePlus though I have mixed feelings on. Feature rich and good value for money but for me too buggy

8 minutes ago, beegeeblueboy said:

the real answer is “ it would cost us too much time and money to build a file converter utility”

That’s only partially true, Julian. The real answer is that the Affinity apps don’t cover all of the features of their ‘Plus’ counterparts, so there will be some objects for which a purpose-built converter utility would give you a result that isn’t any better than importing a PDF file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

That’s only partially true, Julian. The real answer is that the Affinity apps don’t cover all of the features of their ‘Plus’ counterparts, so there will be some objects for which a purpose-built converter utility would give you a result that isn’t any better than importing a PDF file.

I think most of us long-time PagePlus users would understand and accept that limitation, but still welcome an importer which converted all the many types of object that do have Affinity replicas.

• Staff

@OGMedia & @René van Elst

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum. I have merged your post with this similar existing thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just to add that the new Affinity program should be capable of opening Page Plus files. Managed to open a pdf of a Pageplus 9 document, text was editable but a simple colour gradient fill heading needed a complete re-draw. I hope when the final program is ready for release loyal Pageplus users will not be forgotten.  

• Staff

@Medwaymike

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

We do not plan to support the legacy file formats (.PPP, .DPP or .SPP) in the Affinity range, sorry. The latest versions of those programs continue to work and we would suggest you continue using them for projects you have already invested a lot of time in, and use the Affinity range for your new projects going forward, or import PDF where you want new functionality provided by the Affinity software.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@Oly5

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forum. I have merged your post into this thread that answers your question

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

18 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Medwaymike

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

We do not plan to support the legacy file formats (.PPP, .DPP or .SPP) in the Affinity range, sorry. The latest versions of those programs continue to work and we would suggest you continue using them for projects you have already invested a lot of time in, and use the Affinity range for your new projects going forward, or import PDF where you want new functionality provided by the Affinity software.

You are supposed to support your customers and carry them on your journey.

There will be many who've invested years in producing work that they'll eventually lose when the legacy packages cease operating.

It might be a business decision down to viability, yet it could cost you more in the long term, if people have to start afresh, why not go elsewhere, as they'll have lost trust in you.

Why not offer an independent developer(s) the opportunity to work on a legacy conversions tool under your guidance if you are unwilling.

I've been a dedicated user of Page Plus since its Beta days ( & that's a very long time ). So, I have hundreds of Page Plus files. Unless I've missed something in the Beta, I can't find any way to open or import them directly into Affinity designer. This does make continuity for your loyal users rather difficult. Please help :-)

• Staff

@Dermot B

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum :) 

I have moved your post to this relevant thread, where you will find the official answer

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd