You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I added the same request in another part of the forum.  Love the software.  Would REALLY love it best of all if we could only have picas.  A page 792 points high and 612 points wide, filled with text at 11 points, 12 points, 24 points, 8 points, etc. is slightly unnerving.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Right you are Jeremy.  Picas and font sizes are completely compatible.  Inches and font sizes are apples and oranges.  Pain in the neck.  I hope that the Affinity developers will add this lovely option by the time they get to the full version.  This is otherwise such a lovely, satiny-smooth publishing option, even so.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

Right again, Renfield!!

Yes, while I am by no means a pro myself, I have studied it just enough to know that here in the US the majority of the professional publishing world works in terms of picas and points as is being requested here.

It will be very difficult to get the program to be taken seriously in US professional circles without that option.

One possibility is because the U.S. is still using inches for paper measurement. In fact, even though Canada is metric, paper sizes and the printing industry are still in inches likely because of proximity and reliance on the U.S.

Using inches means you end up with a lot of decimals of 3 or more numbers. Picas are more precise and generally less typing (i.e. 0.125 inches = 0p9) and also they convert directly into pixels and points (both inches and picas are 12-base) used for typography, so p9 is the same as 9 points.

FWIW, I haven't seen any newspapers, one of the last bastions of pica measurement for ads, specifying picas. It's been so long that the major US newspapers have given measurements in both inches and mm that I cannot remember the last time I saw picas for ads.

Now, that's not a rationale for dismissing Serif putting picas in like their former Plus line had. Just a note about the US and picas from my perspective.

And Jeremy--of all the things in the US that changed over to mm (in a half-assed way of course), I would have far rather we switched to metric paper sizes. More and more of my print work is going to metric paper sizes as much of what I do is for International companies. But if there ever was a stupid insistence to hold onto inches in the US, it was the printing industry.

Mike

I've never seen a newspaper ask for picas either and I wasn't saying that they do. I've only had newspapers ask me for something in inches, like for an ad submission. That doesn't mean they can't WORK in picas. When I first learn graphic design, it was in picas but the page size was in inches (QuarkXpress). This is one thing I miss in InDesign - the ability to keep the page size measurement separate.

It would be very interesting to switch to metric for printing. The page sizes are a bit different!

It's traditional to teach picas.  Still being done today in probably every classroom. I learned picas once upon a time. Still have my rule. And it is for that reason (and that Serif had them in the Plus line) that I hope Serif puts them in.

It just makes sense if for no other reason than graduates may expect them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, MikeW said:

one of the last bastions of pica measurement for ads, specifying picas.

I had a rule with Agate inches for the use of the sales people to measure the display classifieds because they sold in agates or words. Goodness I don't miss that aspect of the olden tymes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 9/6/2018 at 12:27 AM, MikeW said:

But if there ever was a stupid insistence to hold onto inches in the US, it was the printing industry.

The big advantage of the standard metric paper sizes isn’t so much the measurement units as the proportions. If you slice a landscape A3 sheet down the middle you get portrait A4 sheets and the ratio between the long and short sides remains exactly the same; if you slice a landscape Tabloid sheet down the middle you get portrait Letter sheets but the ratio between the long and short sides changes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The big advantage of the standard metric paper sizes isn’t so much the measurement units as the proportions. If you slice a landscape A3 sheet down the middle you get portrait A4 sheets and the ratio between the long and short sides remains exactly the same; if you slice a landscape Tabloid sheet down the middle you get portrait Letter sheets but the ratio between the long and short sides changes.

The joy of the A sizes is that their ratio of 1:√2 makes resizing easy. More info: http://betweenborders.com/wordsmithing/a4-vs-us-letter/
And here's a map of metric adoption (no offence intended!): http://mentalfloss.com/article/55895/countries-havent-adopted-metric-system