You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

Works perfectly for me.  Files must be IDML as @wonderings has noted.  You may need to check any special tracking you used in InDesign but that is feasible.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

18 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Works perfectly for me.  Files must be IDML as @wonderings has noted.  You may need to check any special tracking you used in InDesign but that is feasible.  

There is a lot more you will need to check. Placed PSD files, EPS files, among other things. You can never expect a file being converted to work in software that did not create it to be perfect so you should always be on the look out for any issues and correct as needed. 

Haven't used InDesign in the Adobe suite in years, ever since Lightroom trashed my old license when I tried to view a Tiff in it and it couldn't find a current copy of Photoshop. Hence the move to Affinity's suite. The archived InDesign stuff was output to PDF, anyway. That said, I would still rate InDesign the better layout program, so far. But the help from the Affinity forums is extraordinary (good thing).  {8>)

On 5/6/2021 at 2:26 PM, SamSteele said:

Haven't used InDesign in the Adobe suite in years, ever since Lightroom trashed my old license when I tried to view a Tiff in it and it couldn't find a current copy of Photoshop. Hence the move to Affinity's suite. The archived InDesign stuff was output to PDF, anyway. That said, I would still rate InDesign the better layout program, so far. But the help from the Affinity forums is extraordinary (good thing).  {8>)

I do not think anyone is making the claim Publisher is better, I know I would not make that claim. I love Indesign personally and most of my work is done in Indesign. It is nice to have some other options though outside of Quark which I always find surprising when I get files made in Quark. Even the newer versions feel so antiquated compared to Indesign. Publisher has a great start though and is feature rich. 

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

I do not think anyone is making the claim Publisher is better, I know I would not make that claim. I love Indesign personally and most of my work is done in Indesign. It is nice to have some other options though outside of Quark which I always find surprising when I get files made in Quark. Even the newer versions feel so antiquated compared to Indesign. Publisher has a great start though and is feature rich. 

I agree. Publisher is a comer. Now if only they had made leading part of paragraph specs/styles instead of a character spec...<sigh>

24 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

if only they had made leading part of paragraph specs/styles

Is there anything wrong with this?

apu_paragraph_leading.thumb.png.c1dcfaffcbad54ccc17303b0f8d95e0a.png

apu_paragraph_leading_style.png.c6825d0ccb789fb7b3ea5ab67f9c2fd6.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, SamSteele said:

I agree. Publisher is a comer. Now if only they had made leading part of paragraph specs/styles instead of a character spec...<sigh>

My mistake—it happens occasionally. What I meant to say was "If only type specs for typeface, font, size and leading had all been combined in one place (preferably under Paragraph, but I guess Character would do) it would be good. Type is always spec'd as "10/12" or "10 on 12", height and leading together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 12:47 PM, SamSteele said:

preferably under Paragraph, but I guess Character would do

Those are all character properties, placing them under Paragraph would make no sense.  Leading is kind of unique in that it is available as a paragraph property but there is also a leading "override" which is a character property and overrides the paragraph leading for some range of characters.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:47 PM, SamSteele said:

If only type specs for typeface, font, size and leading had all been combined in one place

They are, at least as far as leading override - they are in the character panel.

Leading Override is under the the Positioning and Transform section, while the others are at the top of the panel.

Additionally, the first three plus paragraph leading are all on the context toolbar.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

Those are all character properties, placing them under Paragraph would make no sense.  Leading is kind of unique in that it is available as a paragraph property but there is also a leading "override" which is a character property and overrides the paragraph leading for some range of characters.

Leading is not a character spec. You don't lead one character; you might raise it, but not lead it. People don't set type o n e  c h a r a c h t e r  at a time. Leading is a function of lines of type, therefore it is a paragraph spec normally found in paragraph styles. Affinity screwed up on this.

My next lesson will be on Kerning: What it really means for designers.

9 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

therefore it is a paragraph spec normally found in paragraph styles

Oh, really?
Somebody should tell Adobe!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

13 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

It was last time I used InDesign.

Oh, really?

From helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/leading.html:

Change leading

By default, leading is a character attribute, which means that you can apply more than one leading value within the same paragraph. The largest leading value in a line of type determines the leading for that line. However, you can select a preferences option so that leading applies to the entire paragraph, instead of to text within a paragraph. [Of course! One of the first things I've been changing when installing ID!] This setting does not affect the leading in existing frames.

Change leading of selected text

• Select the text you want to change.
  • Do any of the following:
    • In the Character panel or Control panel, choose the leading you want from the Leading menu P_TextLeading_Md_N.png.

• Select the existing leading value and type a new value.

• While creating a paragraph style, change the leading using the Basic Character Formats panel.

[…]

Emphasis and comment mine.

(Anyone called Adobe yet?)

It's hopeless. I'm giving up.

31 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

As I said, Last time I looked. Anyway, they go together.

Perhaps you missed the important part we're talking about (bottom of the page you linked):

Note:

When you use a character style to apply leading to text, the leading affects only the text to which the style is applied, not the entire paragraph, regardless of whether the Apply Leading To Entire Paragraph option is selected.

8 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Perhaps you missed the important part we're talking about (bottom of the page you linked):

Not a reference to my quote, but good to know (for those who still use InDesign). I can see possibly using character leading for a title design or a sub-heading but space after (or before) is probably more useful for sub-heads.

Playing around with automatic Filler text, I find it less than useful because you can't select specific lines or paragraphs (at least I couldn't). Maybe I haven't played with it enough. I prefer my own filler text file.

2 hours ago, SamSteele said:

Bring the leading over to the type spec in the UI.

You seem to have missed the organization of the context toolbar.

Character properties on the left, paragraph properties on the right.

Your proposed change would cause them to become interspersed, causing needless mayhem and potentially resulting in a space-time anomaly that could destroy civilization as we may have once been about to know it.

2 hours ago, loukash said:

It's hopeless. I'm giving up.

That would make you the smart one...

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

You seem to have missed the organization of the context toolbar.

Character properties on the left, paragraph properties on the right.

Your proposed change would cause them to become interspersed, causing needless mayhem and potentially resulting in a space-time anomaly that could destroy civilization as we may have once been about to know it.

Oh.   There's a logic to it? So sorry. 🙏

16 hours ago, SamSteele said:

Playing around with automatic Filler text, I find it less than useful because you can't select specific lines or paragraphs (at least I couldn't).

Hi @SamSteele,

filler text is, after you inserted it, a field that has the property to adjust itself to the available space of a text frame. In other words, you shrink the text frame and the filler text reduces itself automatically. This is an option in the general options an can be turned off.

While filler text is a field you cannot select single words or lines. You have to first right click on it and select 'expand field'.

Hope that helps.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @SamSteele,

filler text is, after you inserted it, a field that has the property to adjust itself to the available space of a text frame. In other words, you shrink the text frame and the filler text reduces itself automatically. This is an option in the general options an can be turned off.

While filler text is a field you cannot select single words or lines. You have to first right click on it and select 'expand field'.

Hope that helps.
d.

Two great tips! Thank you Dominik, very helpful. 👌 Now, if the switch "Insert filler text as text" was put in the "Filler Text" preference and labelled as "Make filler text properties adjustable" (or something like that), it would be perfect.

Again, thanks. 

R.