You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

45 minutes ago, MikeW said:

VD

Some of us grew up in the days when STD meant ‘Subscriber Trunk Dialling’ and VD meant something else, but I digress…

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I hope your doubts have been satisfied. But if Alfred's link doesn't satisfy you, I would be happy to take a new screen shot...

Sorry, and no offense taken to your skepticism. I do normally include the title bar in screen shots and I should have above. But do note, I do have the ability and capability to fake a screen shot...(;^)

While VD can open .indd and .idml, and can export back via .idml, VD is not a panacea of disparate application workflows. I am a firm believer that where/when possible, one should use the same application (and even same version of said application) as the client expects in return.

I have used VD for some years/versions because of clients that use it and expect finished VD files in return, not as a means around using ID. VD does have some niceties, but operates a bit different than I am use to with my more typical QXP/ID work and always takes a bit of time for me to get in a flow working with it.

I have never heard of VivaDesign before and there are precious few reviews of it, but I will accept what you say and let others comment pro or con. I don't want to download yet another software program simply to see if it does something new. I would rather read it's features in the official documentation and so far I haven't come across it on their website.

Of course you could fake a screen shot, so could I but we don't do that here. I'm sure you will agree, some screenshots are more informative than others.

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

. I would rather read it's features in the official documentation and so far I haven't come across it on their website.

Isn't Alfred's link (above) to their website? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, SamSteele said:

I have never heard of VivaDesign before ...

Their website mostly sucks as regards of pertinent and/or easy to find information. It's been around since the early 1990s under a different name (originally made by Linotronic, if I recall). But yep, until I got my first client in Germany requiring it, I hadn't used it.

It is light on resources. Installed, the professional version is about 340 megs. Doesn't require much RAM to operate well, has many of the features people here want added to APub. Reasonably inexpensive upgrade cost. Runs on Mac, Win & Linux, and there's a web version too.

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Isn't Alfred's link (above) to their website? 

I had found Viva's website. The "it" I was referring to (always tricky, that word) was a specific reference to importing INDD files directly. I agree with MikeW's assessment: "Their website mostly sucks as regards of pertinent and/or easy to find information."  Love 'em or hate 'em, that's one thing Adobe was good at: documentation.

FWIW, I want to know the price of something before I enter into a buying sequence.

12 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

... FWIW, I want to know the price of something before I enter into a buying sequence.

Capture_000846.png.04acf75eaa3d2bfc67989b508b06d8dd.png

For the Commercial version. Crossgrade from any version (I believe) ID or QXP is $100 less. Upgrades are $79. For Personal use is $139. And then there is the free, stripped-down version.

From the product overview page, the above screen shot is in the right-most column, which if I recall cannot be seen on a mobile phone.

Of all the current offerings, if all I was doing was personal and charitable work and didn't have the other applications I have, I would likely still buy it. At least knowing the upgrade cost is low and knowing new versions were 2, 3 or so years apart. I think during the version 10 cycle thus far there have been about 9 or 10 updates. Not too bad.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 1:39 PM, Chris_K said:

@Gabe Logan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

It's not possible yet. There are plans to be able to open IDML files in the future

<mod edit> IDML not INDD file clarification was made in an edit on 6th July 2019 </mod edit>

Glad to hear this (just joined the forum and am responding mainly to test it out)

• 2 months later...

I wanted to reach out to let you guys know that we've released IDMarkz SE for Windows

We released IDMarkz for macOS just over two years ago. Since that initial release, we've been getting requests for a Windows version. It's taken longer than expected, but I'm happy to announce that we now have a Windows application. The Windows and macOS products do differ [IDMarkz for macOS vs. IDMarkz SE for Windows], but they both serve the same purpose, moving InDesign files (INDD) to other applications, including Affinity Publisher.

Use Promo Code IDMSE for 15% off of IDMarkz SE for Windows through January 2022

Disclaimer:
I'm a software engineer at Markzware, the company behind IDMarkz.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Edited by Eddie Aguirre
To clarify that the promotion is only for the new Windows product

6 hours ago, Eddie Aguirre said:

I wanted to reach out to let you guys know that we've released IDMarkz SE for Windows

We released IDMarkz for macOS just over two years ago. Since that initial release, we've been getting requests for a Windows version. It's taken longer than expected, but I'm happy to announce that we now have a Windows application. The Windows and macOS products do differ [IDMarkz for macOS vs. IDMarkz SE for Windows], but they both serve the same purpose, moving InDesign files (INDD) to other applications, including Affinity Publisher.

Use Promo Code IDMSE for 15% off through January 2022

Disclaimer:

Too bad it only works with WIN 10 & 11. A lot of us avoided 10 like the plague (a classic example of how trying to make something better made it worse) and stayed with WIN 7. I shudder at the thought of v. 11. People who adhere to Jobism please refrain from commenting. I hear your company makes telephones now. 

Nice to see the promo code discount, though.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:12 PM, Eddie Aguirre said:

Use Promo Code IDMSE for 15% off through January 2022

Disclaimer:

Hi Eddie,

greetings and thnx for informing us.

… for me the Promo Code: "IDMSE"  doesn't work!

Greetings
Tobi

1 hour ago, Eddie Aguirre said:

Wouldn't that be great 😉

Having built-in idml export would be better--assuming it worked well. I doubt Serif will ever publish its file spec. However, having now moved two books from APub to QXP, I would take anything!