You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

59 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

Now, if the switch "Insert filler text as text" was put in the "Filler Text" preference and labelled as "Make filler text properties adjustable" (or something like that), it would be perfect.

Oh, I think I get what you're saying: instead of in the General tab of preferences, why not in the Filler Text section? I think that makes good sense, especially as over time the general section will get pretty cluttered. I never thought about it, before, but now it seems obvious.

10 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Oh, I think I get what you're saying: instead of in the General tab of preferences, why not in the Filler Text section? I think that makes good sense, especially as over time the general section will get pretty cluttered. I never thought about it, before, but now it seems obvious.

But with it in General, as it is now, it is consistent across all three Affinity applications. Remember that only Publisher has the Filler Text panel in the Preferences dialog; the other two don't have it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

But with it in General, as it is now, it is consistent across all three Affinity applications. Remember that only Publisher has the Filler Text panel in the Preferences dialog; the other two don't have it.

A fair point. I might have guessed that filler text would be one of those Publisher-only features. I did not remember that it is in the other apps, but deciding which features should be only in a single app versus all the apps is never going to be settled.

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

One size does not fit all.

I can not imagine using filler text in Photo or Design. What for?  But if they claim to worship at the Temple of Consistency, which they don't, then real consistency would have the Filler Text panel in all 3 apps. And, Clip/unclip canvas would be found in the same place and do the same thing. Yes? They aren't and it doesn't. Try it.

I'm not sure the if UI was designed or "It just growed."

3 hours ago, SamSteele said:

Now, if the switch "Insert filler text as text" was put in the "Filler Text" preference and labelled as "Make filler text properties adjustable"

I agree. I was looking for this setting there too ... to no avail.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VirginiaL said:

hi you all. Is there any news aboout .indd files?

Hello @VirginiaL.

No. And it has been pointed out in this thread that it is not very likely that .indd files will be supported at all.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

9 hours ago, VirginiaL said:

hi you all. Is there any news aboout .indd files?

Thank you

Native Indd files not likely. Via IDML, it is possible in Affinity Publisher.

Last November Eddie Aguirre said "Any of you guys on a Mac looking for a way to convert your native InDesign files to Affinity Publisher (through IDML), IDMarkz, might be the tool you need. As many of you have mentioned, this can be done using InDesign, but if you're looking for a long-term solution that makes the process seamless, check out this video showing how simple the conversion process is. The video shows the process with an older version of Publisher, but the current version will convert using an IDML rather than PDF."

I asked about a WIN solutions and Eddie said: "It's in the works."?

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
9 minutes ago, tallrob said:

So, this post is pinned, and it says [Implemented], but I still don't see any obvious way to open an indd file in Affinity Publisher. If it's indeed now possible, maybe it's a good idea to edit the first post to reveal the method of doing so. 

Fair point, I have edited the title.

IDML import: implemented

INDD import: no plans to implement

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 hours ago, paco52 said:

INDD import would be nice.
It doesn't seems impossible.
I have recently tested Viva Designer and it imports nearly flawlessly INDD files.
Acctually, with the basic 100 € version of Viva Designer, one can open INDD files and export them in IDML

On the VIVADesigner website it only says the IDML files can be imported from or exported to InDesign;

"Due to the excellent Import and Export functions of the Viva technology, InDesign® documents w.e.f. version CS4 in IDML format can be imported and also re-exported to InDesign®.

See: http://www.viva.de/en/solutions/adobe-indesign-user.

See also:Snip below of http://www.viva.de/en/component/jdownloads/send/53-manual/128-exchange-with-indesign

Do you have a reference that states differently?

VivaDesign-IDML.PNG

20 minutes ago, Wosven said:

That's a little bit rude, Mike know enough that we don't doubt when he explains something.

Just check the site:

http://www.viva.de/en/solutions/publishing-workflows-processes-production-types

2021-09-10_073011.thumb.png.fee6ac55caa68234946daf03dabb4516.png

No, It's not rude, just honest. What you have snipped only proves that VivaDesign supports IDML inputs or outputs, not INDD. See green box above.

2 hours ago, SamSteele said:

Sorry, but this doesn't do it for me. Do you have any screen grabs with the name VivaDesign  on them?

O, ye of little faith!

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

That's a little bit rude, Mike know enough that we don't doubt when he explains something.

Well said, @Wosven. :)

https://software.viva.de/en/products/desktop-publishing/vivadesigner-desktop-version/vivadesigner-features/new-in-version-10-0

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, SamSteele said:

Sorry, but this doesn't do it for me. Do you have any screen grabs with the name VivaDesign  on them?

I hope your doubts have been satisfied. But if Alfred's link doesn't satisfy you, I would be happy to take a new screen shot...

Sorry, and no offense taken to your skepticism. I do normally include the title bar in screen shots and I should have above. But do note, I do have the ability and capability to fake a screen shot...(;^)

While VD can open .indd and .idml, and can export back via .idml, VD is not a panacea of disparate application workflows. I am a firm believer that where/when possible, one should use the same application (and even same version of said application) as the client expects in return.

I have used VD for some years/versions because of clients that use it and expect finished VD files in return, not as a means around using ID. VD does have some niceties, but operates a bit different than I am use to with my more typical QXP/ID work and always takes a bit of time for me to get in a flow working with it.

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

... I am a firm believer that where/when possible, one should use the same application (and even same version of said application) as the client expects in return.

I have used VD for some years/versions because of clients that use it and expect finished VD files in return, not as a means around using ID. ...

This !

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.