Gabe Logan

How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

3 hours ago, RM f/g said:

Or have a look at this:

Viva Designer

Even the free version opens indd (and idml) files and exports idml.

Does the free version export back out in .idml?

I believe the demo version can export .idml files until it reverts to personal mode.

I keep the commercial version up to date and haven't ever tried the free or demo versions. The .idml support both directions is/has been the best thus far for the wide variety of ID files I've done. I don't use VivaDesigner more than several jobs a year, but I just finished in it today. It's got great language support. The job I just finished had Hebrew & Arabic passages.

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

Does the free version export back out in .idml?

In the free version you can ‘save as > idml’ and ‘export > document > idml’.

I've only been playing around with the – somewhat crippled – free version of Vivadesigner. Never  used it for a project, so never got the commercial version.

1 hour ago, RM f/g said:

In the free version you can ‘save as > idml’ and ‘export > document > idml’.

I've only been playing around with the – somewhat crippled – free version of Vivadesigner. Never  used it for a project, so never got the commercial version.

Thanks for sharing this. It was interesting to do a quick conversion comparison with Viva free and IDMarkz on a 20pp CC2019 InDesign brochure I was given. Neither was perfect, but both gave a good starting point to tidy things up from, always helpful to have a PDF as reference. Although after a successful first run, Viva then crashed each time I tried to re-open the original INDD file.

23 hours ago, RM f/g said:

Or have a look at this:

Viva Designer

Even the free version opens indd (and idml) files and exports idml.

Thanks so much!
I downloaded the trial version and managed to recover the documents !!!

😘

I've just tried Viva nad I am not impressed. It was not able to correctly import my InDesign document, and once it did the performance of the app is abysmal. I have a pretty high end iMac and Viva was struggling to even scroll through my document, which by the way is not very complex at all. Publisher is a performance beast compared to Viva. We just need the ability to import InDesign file, among other things.

27 minutes ago, tomek said:

We just need the ability to import InDesign file

No need for INDD as we are able to open IDML. INDD is a locked format, so Serif has to reverse-engineer it, but opening IDML delivers extraordinary (in my opinion) results so far that I can live with the minor drawbacks here.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Unfortunately I do not have access to the IDML file. INDD only for this particular document. But that's for pointing this out. From now on I will ask my collaborators to deliver IDML files for my workflow. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Allerdings darf ich ruhigen Gewissens behaupten, dass Fußball nicht meine Sportart ist, sondern Handball. Und wenn Fan, dann von der Damen-Mannschaft, die ich mittrainiere.

Klasse! Wäre schön, wenn Serif ebenso auskunftsfreudig bzgl. lange erwarteter Korrekturen und Funktionen wäre. :-)

Mark hat nett gefragt, ich habe geantwortet. Aber da es dich anscheinend gestört hat, habe ich die Antwort rausgenommen.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

da es dich anscheinend gestört hat

Wenn Sie mich meinen: nö! Wie denn auch? Da steht ja ein »Klasse!«

28 minutes ago, KarDO45 said:

This is the year 2020. Is it possible to open an InDesign CS3 file in Publisher?

This is the year 2020. No. 

But you if you can export it to IDML then you can open the IDML file in Publisher. 

33 minutes ago, AdrianB said:

This is the year 2020. No. 

But you if you can export it to IDML then you can open the IDML file in Publisher. 

I believe .idml came at cs4.

1 hour ago, KarDO45 said:

This is the year 2020. Is it possible to open an InDesign CS3 file in Publisher?

The only means of porting cs3 and earlier ID files may be Markzware's utility, which at present is Mac only. And perhaps a script that's out there, but it may require a more recent version of ID.

Else find someone with cs4 or newer to batch open and convert your files for you.

23 hours ago, MikeW said:

I believe .idml came at cs4.

Oh, yes, you are right, I forgot about that. Before CS4 there was the INX format.