You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

48 minutes ago, Chul said:

Thank you thank you for the ability to open an .indd file with the beta version! :224_monkey:

You mean .idml not .indd, those are still unavailable unless I missed an announcement.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, Old Bruce said:

You mean .idml not .indd, those are still unavailable unless I missed an announcement.

IDMarkz could be used to convert .indd to .idml, which can be opened by the Affinity Publisher beta v1.8. IDMarkz also offers an "Open in Publisher" feature, which automates the conversion and opening of the file. The feature uses IDML in the process as long as Publisher v1.8 (currently in beta) or higher is installed; otherwise, it falls back to PDF.

Of course, you can export an IDML out of InDesign and import that into the Publisher beta. IDMarkz is most useful for users who don't have access to InDesign. If you have or receive .indd files but don't have access to InDesign to convert those files to IDML, then IDMarkz is for you.

You can also run IDMarkz as a freebie to get previews and some other useful information from .indd files, without the conversion features. The freebie might be interesting for all users, including those who own InDesign.

Disclaimer: I'm a software developer at Markzware, developing IDMarkz.

IDMarkz uses the same IDML conversion engine as MarkzTools2 has for the last 4 years. We've added previews, integration with Affinity Publisher, along with some other features, and released IDMarkz. 

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Welcome, Eddie.

How's the Windows development coming along?

Mike

We're in the early stages of planning the Windows development of IDMarkz. It's too early to give any timelines, but it is something we're aware of and actively pursuing.

If you'd like to stay up to date with product news, you can signup for our Markzware Newsletter (we won't spam you with lots of junk).

• Staff

Eddie Aguirre,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thank you for taking part here and for keeping our users up to date with your latest developments.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Eddie Aguirre,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thank you for taking part here and for keeping our users up to date with your latest developments.

Thank you, Patrick

I've been following this thread for a few months, but I've been hesitant to post until now. Serif has done a great job with the PDF import, and the IDML import is looking good as well, with some minor issues as to be expected.

We hope to be able to support those Affinity Publisher users looking for a way to convert .indd files to .idml to be opened in Publisher. I understand that many Publisher users still have InDesign and can export IDML directly, it's unlikely they'd need the paid features, but maybe they'd find the IDMarkz freebie interesting. 

I'm here to try and get the word out about what we can offer and answer whatever questions I can. We know that IDMarkz is a new product on the market, and we're eager to prove that it can be invaluable for many users. If you've tried the IDMarkz freebie and are interested in what the IDML conversion output would look like, you can get in contact with me to send me a file. Or if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

13 hours ago, Eddie Aguirre said:

Thank you, Patrick

I've been following this thread for a few months, but I've been hesitant to post until now. Serif has done a great job with the PDF import, and the IDML import is looking good as well, with some minor issues as to be expected.

We hope to be able to support those Affinity Publisher users looking for a way to convert .indd files to .idml to be opened in Publisher. I understand that many Publisher users still have InDesign and can export IDML directly, it's unlikely they'd need the paid features, but maybe they'd find the IDMarkz freebie interesting. 

I'm here to try and get the word out about what we can offer and answer whatever questions I can. We know that IDMarkz is a new product on the market, and we're eager to prove that it can be invaluable for many users. If you've tried the IDMarkz freebie and are interested in what the IDML conversion output would look like, you can get in contact with me to send me a file. Or if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

I can't speak for all Affinity users but this one is appreciative of your interest and support for our platform of choice. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

As an aside to the main point of this thread, I think that the fact that Markzware is now actively developing for Affinity Publisher is a testament to the maturing state of Publisher and its apparent future potential.

Well, I wouldn't say Markzware is actively developing for Affinity Publisher as much as including APub in their marketing

• 2 weeks later...

Just for perspective, removing the rose-tinted glasses.  Adobe ID started off pretty shaky in a world dominated by Quark - I have been using ID since the beginning and PageMaker before it. ID's Pagemaker import feature was useless and that was from the PageMaker version that Adobe made after they bought from Aldus. The layout, tables, typography and stability were all over the place. In the end, I gave up and restarted. It reinforces the practice to keep the resources close to hand.  I currently have two 300+page books in CS6 and hope to abandon ID as OSX ditches support for 32-bit apps.

A bigger concern for me is the support of large documents - the ID book feature was very useful for management.

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone did not notice: IDML import is now officially here in the newly released Publisher 1.8.0.

Personally, I am surprised we got it as soon as we did. For those who have been beta testing all along, it is easy to forget how much good has come in the 1.8 release, but when you look over the major highlights in the new 1.8 release notes, this is a major step forward.

8 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Just in case anyone did not notice: IDML import is now officially here in the newly released Publisher 1.8.0.

Personally, I am surprised we got it as soon as we did. For those who have been beta testing all along, it is easy to forget how much good has come in the 1.8 release, but when you look over the major highlights in the new 1.8 release notes, this is a major step forward.

I was really excited for a moment there till i remembered all my files are in indd format. :)

1 minute ago, Terkoz said:

I was really excited for a moment there till i remembered all my files are in indd format. :)

If you still have access to InDesign you can open and export them to IDML. There's even scripts for batch converting, to find indd files and export them as IDML.There won't be any importer for indd files. 

6 minutes ago, Terkoz said:

In conjunction with what Adrian wrote, and if you are using a Mac, there is a standalone application from Markzware that can export idml files without ID installed.

15 hours ago, spinko said:

Now, if we could get the spreads to import as individual pages, that would be the icing on the cake ... but still, I am very happy as is.

Actually, this does work correctly when your document is set up in InDesign with facing pages (File->Document Setup, a checkbox near the top of that window). For whatever reason, InDesign allows the oddity of defining left and right pages even when the document is not set up for facing pages, and as Publisher does not understand that nuance, when it opens an IDML where "Facing Pages" was not ticked, it will import each entire spread (however many pages it is, even more than two) as a single page.

I originally thought the same as you, and I reported it during beta testing, but the response was something like what I explained above, and sure enough, when I opened my InDesign document, it was not configured for facing pages. When I changed that, rearranged the pages, and then exported to IDML again, then Publisher opened the fixed IDML with proper facing pages.

Here is the brief discussion of it during the beta testing:

15 minutes ago, spinko said:

thanks for the tip 🙂 but I've just tested it with and without "facing pages" checked and in both cases a three page spread from IDcc IDML file appears as a single page in Publisher 1.8 .

test 3 page spread.idml 40.6 kB · 0 downloads

That's because APub doesn't know how to handle such a document with pages abutted up together. Same does apply to book covers having just a left, spine and right pages in a row like your document.

19 hours ago, spinko said:

three page spread

Publisher does not support spreads of more than two pages, so it imports those as single pages. I was referring to typical two-page spreads. If they are set up as facing pages, it imports correctly, but a lot of my older documents apparently were not set up correctly even though they appeared to be facing, and those import as two pages made into a single page.

I started using aPub on my large document and, for the most part, it works fine. But unlike InDesign, it does not allow for custom zoom levels. As I am visually impaired this is a real problem for me. I was using a zoom level of 225% in InDesign. But there appears to be no way to duplicate this in aPub. In InDesign, the zoom level is a field in the tool-bar. I looked for it in aPub, but it does not appear to exist.