Gabe Logan

How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

I'm also interested in switching from InDesign to Publisher. Reading this thread has raised a good point -- I have maybe 10 years worth of old InDesign files archived. They're all organised very well and I know what's what, so when I need an element or to reference an idea or something I did way back, I can find it easily.

What's the best way to preserve this? I suppose a PDF would allow me to "view" what I did in the past, but if there was some artwork that I wanted to copy over into Publisher, is there a format I could use that would allow that? As opposed to me re-designing said artwork from scratch in Publisher?

2 minutes ago, Kalyori said:

I'm also interested in switching from InDesign to Publisher. Reading this thread has raised a good point -- I have maybe 10 years worth of old InDesign files archived. They're all organised very well and I know what's what, so when I need an element or to reference an idea or something I did way back, I can find it easily.

What's the best way to preserve this? I suppose a PDF would allow me to "view" what I did in the past, but if there was some artwork that I wanted to copy over into Publisher, is there a format I could use that would allow that? As opposed to me re-designing said artwork from scratch in Publisher?

You can open the PDF with Publisher and Publisher does a pretty good job whereby the elements are editable. That's what I do and it works well for me.

MacOS Mojave
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Intel Core i7(4.2 GHz)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz 
1TB SSD Hard drive
12TB OWC Thunderbay 4
Built-In Retina LCD  5120 x 2880
AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB

4 minutes ago, GWCTas said:

You can open the PDF with Publisher and Publisher does a pretty good job whereby the elements are editable. That's what I do and it works well for me.

Interesting, thank you I will check that out.

1 hour ago, Kalyori said:

Exporting all your InDesign work as both IDML and PDF is probably the safest bet (maybe even creating InDesign packages). The script I've mentioned earlier helps with batch exporting. 

Just now, AdrianB said:

Exporting all your InDesign work as both IDML and PDF is probably the safest bet (maybe even creating InDesign packages). The script I've mentioned earlier helps with batch exporting. 

I see, thank you.