You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

3 hours ago, RM f/g said:

Or have a look at this:

Viva Designer

Even the free version opens indd (and idml) files and exports idml.

Does the free version export back out in .idml?

I believe the demo version can export .idml files until it reverts to personal mode.

I keep the commercial version up to date and haven't ever tried the free or demo versions. The .idml support both directions is/has been the best thus far for the wide variety of ID files I've done. I don't use VivaDesigner more than several jobs a year, but I just finished in it today. It's got great language support. The job I just finished had Hebrew & Arabic passages.

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

Does the free version export back out in .idml?

In the free version you can ‘save as > idml’ and ‘export > document > idml’.

I've only been playing around with the – somewhat crippled – free version of Vivadesigner. Never  used it for a project, so never got the commercial version.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

1 hour ago, RM f/g said:

In the free version you can ‘save as > idml’ and ‘export > document > idml’.

I've only been playing around with the – somewhat crippled – free version of Vivadesigner. Never  used it for a project, so never got the commercial version.

Thanks for sharing this. It was interesting to do a quick conversion comparison with Viva free and IDMarkz on a 20pp CC2019 InDesign brochure I was given. Neither was perfect, but both gave a good starting point to tidy things up from, always helpful to have a PDF as reference. Although after a successful first run, Viva then crashed each time I tried to re-open the original INDD file.

• 1 month later...

I've just tried Viva nad I am not impressed. It was not able to correctly import my InDesign document, and once it did the performance of the app is abysmal. I have a pretty high end iMac and Viva was struggling to even scroll through my document, which by the way is not very complex at all. Publisher is a performance beast compared to Viva. We just need the ability to import InDesign file, among other things.

27 minutes ago, tomek said:

We just need the ability to import InDesign file

No need for INDD as we are able to open IDML. INDD is a locked format, so Serif has to reverse-engineer it, but opening IDML delivers extraordinary (in my opinion) results so far that I can live with the minor drawbacks here.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Unfortunately I do not have access to the IDML file. INDD only for this particular document. But that's for pointing this out. From now on I will ask my collaborators to deliver IDML files for my workflow. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Allerdings darf ich ruhigen Gewissens behaupten, dass Fußball nicht meine Sportart ist, sondern Handball. Und wenn Fan, dann von der Damen-Mannschaft, die ich mittrainiere.

Klasse! Wäre schön, wenn Serif ebenso auskunftsfreudig bzgl. lange erwarteter Korrekturen und Funktionen wäre. :-)

Mark hat nett gefragt, ich habe geantwortet. Aber da es dich anscheinend gestört hat, habe ich die Antwort rausgenommen.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, KarDO45 said:

This is the year 2020. Is it possible to open an InDesign CS3 file in Publisher?

This is the year 2020. No. 

But you if you can export it to IDML then you can open the IDML file in Publisher. 

33 minutes ago, AdrianB said:

This is the year 2020. No. 

But you if you can export it to IDML then you can open the IDML file in Publisher. 

I believe .idml came at cs4.

1 hour ago, KarDO45 said:

This is the year 2020. Is it possible to open an InDesign CS3 file in Publisher?

The only means of porting cs3 and earlier ID files may be Markzware's utility, which at present is Mac only. And perhaps a script that's out there, but it may require a more recent version of ID.

Else find someone with cs4 or newer to batch open and convert your files for you.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that there is a little bit of arrogance coming from members of this forum (or else it's sarcasm that I'm not picking up on). I don't want to use InDesign forever. Starting right now, I want to be able to create all NEW documents in Affinity. I just don't want all my idd documents to be lost forever -- the contents of everything from resumés to past theatre programs (I run a small theatre) are unavailable to me in Catalina, and Affinity won't open them. I would love nothing more than to convert them all into Affinity documents, and I would think Affinity would want me to. If MS Word can execute a nearly flawless translation of an idd resumé into a docx, I'm not sure why Affinity can't or doesn't want to. 

8 hours ago, Dan Pinkerton said:

It seems to me that there is a little bit of arrogance coming from members of this forum (or else it's sarcasm that I'm not picking up on). I don't want to use InDesign forever. Starting right now, I want to be able to create all NEW documents in Affinity. I just don't want all my idd documents to be lost forever -- the contents of everything from resumés to past theatre programs (I run a small theatre) are unavailable to me in Catalina, and Affinity won't open them. I would love nothing more than to convert them all into Affinity documents, and I would think Affinity would want me to. If MS Word can execute a nearly flawless translation of an idd resumé into a docx, I'm not sure why Affinity can't or doesn't want to. 

I dunno where you are picking up either arrogance or sarcasm.

Unless I am missing something, Word cannot natively open .indd filetypes. Word, as can APub, open pdfs, though. Nor, and again, unless I am missing it, can Word natively open .idml files though APub can.

There are means of converting .indd files to .idml in order to open those .idml files in APub. But presently that means a third-party utility (Mac only at present) or using a version of ID that can run a script to individually or batch convert .indd, VivaDesigner (which can also open .indd directly).

12 hours ago, Dan Pinkerton said:

I just don't want all my idd documents to be lost forever -- the contents of everything from resumés to past theatre programs (I run a small theatre) are unavailable to me in Catalina, and Affinity won't open them.

As Mike said, you will either need to use a 3rd-part conversion tool, or temporarily install a version of InDesign that will run on Catalina, and do the conversion to IDML.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I used a free script that was mentioned somewhere in these forums to convert hundreds of indd docs to idml format that Affinity understands. The process took about 15 minutes. Glad those docs won't go the way of my Freehand, Director and Flash files.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:16 AM, Dan Pinkerton said:

First off it is not Affinities responsibility to make sure you can open Indesign documents so you do not lose the ability to open them in the future. You can open IDML files now in Publisher so the feature is there now. I think the problem comes is people want a flawless conversion from Indesign to Affinity, and that is just not going to happen. They both have features that the other does not have, well at least Publisher cannot do certain things Indesign can, I am sure there is some the other way around but the big ones is Indesign can do more. This creates headaches for anyone trying to use Publisher and Indesign for collaborative work. 

A resume set in indesign and opening in Word (did not even know people did that) is going to be a very simple thing and maybe that is why your use has been close to flawless. Indesign is not a word processor and not a resume making app, it is page layout and the mainstay app for many in print and design. 

23 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I did not know that Word could even do that. Is it a confirmed fact that Word can open either INDD or IDML files, because I cannot find it?

No clue, I was going off of what Dan said in the post I quoted. Seems like a bizarre thing for Word to be able to do as Indesign is not a word processor and in most situations it must cause a real mess.