You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ă—

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

I'm also interested in switching from InDesign to Publisher. Reading this thread has raised a good point -- I have maybe 10 years worth of old InDesign files archived. They're all organised very well and I know what's what, so when I need an element or to reference an idea or something I did way back, I can find it easily.

What's the best way to preserve this? I suppose a PDF would allow me to "view" what I did in the past, but if there was some artwork that I wanted to copy over into Publisher, is there a format I could use that would allow that? As opposed to me re-designing said artwork from scratch in Publisher?

2 minutes ago, Kalyori said:

I'm also interested in switching from InDesign to Publisher. Reading this thread has raised a good point -- I have maybe 10 years worth of old InDesign files archived. They're all organised very well and I know what's what, so when I need an element or to reference an idea or something I did way back, I can find it easily.

What's the best way to preserve this? I suppose a PDF would allow me to "view" what I did in the past, but if there was some artwork that I wanted to copy over into Publisher, is there a format I could use that would allow that? As opposed to me re-designing said artwork from scratch in Publisher?

You can open the PDF with Publisher and Publisher does a pretty good job whereby the elements are editable. That's what I do and it works well for me.

MacOS Ventura
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Intel Core i7(4.2 GHz)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz 
1TB SSD Hard drive
12TB OWC Thunderbay 4
Built-In Retina LCD  5120 x 2880
AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB

4 minutes ago, GWCTas said:

You can open the PDF with Publisher and Publisher does a pretty good job whereby the elements are editable. That's what I do and it works well for me.

Interesting, thank you I will check that out.

1 hour ago, Kalyori said:

Exporting all your InDesign work as both IDML and PDF is probably the safest bet (maybe even creating InDesign packages). The script I've mentioned earlier helps with batch exporting. 

Just now, AdrianB said:

Exporting all your InDesign work as both IDML and PDF is probably the safest bet (maybe even creating InDesign packages). The script I've mentioned earlier helps with batch exporting. 

I see, thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IDML file opening has been promised for well over a year now! 

I have been sent six important docs in IN Design format, opening the PDF is a disaster creating a doc riddled with formatting errors and that needs total re-editing

I am going to have to get a new Adobe In Design App subscription to deliver these for my clients!

IMHO this is not good enough

Can we please have some accurate info and not vague promises?

19 hours ago, robfol said:

IDML file opening has been promised for well over a year now! […] Can we please have some accurate info and not vague promises?

The launch of APub was promised for 2015, … so probably no (ETA). Sorry!

9 hours ago, Moon12 said:

when is this feature available?

On 9/16/2019 at 3:27 AM, robfol said:

IDML file opening has been promised for well over a year now! 

You make it sound like they promised a release a year ago, but the only thing they said is that they are working on IDML support but they can't give any timeline. Also they said it's not a trivial feature to implement. 

On 9/16/2019 at 3:27 AM, robfol said:

Can we please have some accurate info and not vague promises?

That's not how software development works. Unless you're almost finished you really don't know how long it will take to implement a complex feature, any "accurate information" would be guesstimates at best. And then there's the whole business part of it, Affinity have to decide what features and development to prioritize over others through a whole series of applications and platforms, depending on God knows how many variables. And things constantly change along the way. So they know better than to give ”accurate info” when there are uncertainties ahead. 

1 hour ago, AdrianB said:

So until they say otherwise you shouldn't expect it at all.

It was an answer to fde101 who blocked a question/vote of Honken. This Thread is about “indd and idml” and Serif told us so much what will not come and will come … do you know what will be in two or five years?

3 hours ago, Oval said:

blocked a question/vote of Honken

Whoa, I didn't "block" anyone's "vote" - I reported on the fact that there are no votes.

This forum is not a democracy, Serif ultimately makes these decisions.

Anyone can express interest by posting on the thread, and that was already done.

• Staff

I think that this 23 page thread of circular discussions is typical of how this section of the forums is not working well. It makes finding definitive responses from Serif next to impossible. I feel we need a better approach to popular feature ideas. Indeed perhaps it is time to see how to improve all of the forums. I'll give this more thought

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

It makes finding definitive responses from Serif next to impossible.

Perhaps it would help in a first step working with prefixes like [Request accepted] [Won't implement] or something like this?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

He said "No" because the newbie, or indeed anyone here, cannot "vote" for anything. He didn't "block" anything, he stated a fact. This needs to end now

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

cannot "vote" for anything

Sorry, thought we are in Feature Requests that would be checked and would give Serif a base to decide if something is requested often enough to make it on a list. Thought we read something like that. So posts like "+1 for importing INX / INDD files” simply were a waste of time in the narrow sense? :-(

I'm surprised that this thread has been allowed to continue. Serif/Affinity are obviously not in the software business as a hobby - it is a business and no doubt like any business is intended to show a profit.

That being the case, there's no doubt in my opinion that the developers will introduce new features, etc on a soon as possible basis as there's every incentive for them to do so. If, although I very much doubt it they manage to find a way of opening INDD files directly with Publisher then so be it although as that file format is constantly, or so it appears to me, to be a moving Adobe target it will be a no go in my book.

IDML - well maybe but going on about it day after day isn't going to make it happen any faster. Publisher is what it is and for now that's what it is. 

16 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

He said "No" because the newbie, or indeed anyone here, cannot "vote" for anything. He didn't "block" anything, he stated a fact. This needs to end now

Totally agree that this thread no longer serves any purpose. There is a workaround using pdf that works for some and not for others. I find it incredulous that people are going as far as "demanding" answers or timelines for the developers to provide a solution to importing another company's file format. To my knowledge Serif never advertised that as a "future feature" for their product yet they are being castigated by a few who see that as a prerequisite to using Affinity. If it is a prerequisite, get over it and stick with your current software that can cost you every month what the one off price of the Affinity product costs. You can then leave the rest of the more than happy Serif customers to read meaningful threads on the real benefits and value that Serif have brought to the market. As raised by @Haakoo, Serif probably need another method of responding to feature requests.

MacOS Ventura
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Intel Core i7(4.2 GHz)
32GB DDR4 2400MHz 
1TB SSD Hard drive
12TB OWC Thunderbay 4
Built-In Retina LCD  5120 x 2880
AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB