You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Ă—

[IDML Implemented] How can I open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher?

I was also concerned about importing all of my old InDesign files - but found that importing a PDF exported from InDesign worked amazingly well with Affinity Publisher. I can start editing right away and make as many changes as I like, and save the file as an .afpub file.

Very impressive, and immediately useful to me.

YES, as said here, just save your InDesign files as a pdf and it opens up nicely. Not perfection but it will do. As with InDesign was opening up Quark files it was not perfect but with a bit of work it is better than starting over. 

• Staff

@jcortho

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I have merged your post into this relevant thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, donmcdonald said:

indd export not as critical as is the ability to import. Most are probably exporting the bulk of their efforts into some variation of pdf, but to move ongoing legacy projects to Publisher will require an InDesign import system of some sort (preferably sooner than later). 

I would say IDML export is equally important to import for those who have to collaborate with other designers to some extent. Affinity Designer & Photo have some ability to export documents which are editable in the Adobe counterparts. Though I don't expect a full feature set to be maintained in a collaborative document format, it's important to have this capability to  have a capacity to transition from Adobe product. I can't expect every client who want's original artwork supplied to adopt Affinity Publisher, they'll just go somewhere else.

While IDML import would be nice, it is quite a common practice to build needed templates and documents from a scratch when you switch to new tools. Keeps files lean with no legacy trouble and you can utilise new tools from the start. It usually does not take much time.

Ongoing projects should of course be finished with original tools.

4 hours ago, sc300 said:

I can't expect every client who want's original artwork supplied to adopt Affinity Publisher, they'll just go somewhere else.

Most customers do not want InDesign source files, and most designers do not want to hand them over (unless compensated with $$$).

If you customer insists to have InDesign files, you better use InDesign for the job (I assume that is important customer).

If customer wants to build a work flow where it is possible to use Publisher, price is no problem and customer can purchase it.

IMO it is absolutely imperative that the capability to open INDD files be there. If you want people to come over to your side from InDesign, that HAS to be a feature right off the bat. And second what others have said - w/o that capability, I can't even test this thing and compare it to InDesign.

17 hours ago, David Simpson said:

I was also concerned about importing all of my old InDesign files - but found that importing a PDF exported from InDesign worked amazingly well with Affinity Publisher. I can start editing right away and make as many changes as I like, and save the file as an .afpub file.

Very impressive, and immediately useful to me.

I discovered that right off the bat.  In fact it was the first thing I did after setting up a new blank document with 4 facing pages.  The PDF was 12 pages.  Clicked on OPEN, selected the PDF, clicked it, and bingo!  Twelve lovely pages in thumbnail on the left and in place in the workspace.  Every font, every text wrap, every photo and every page in perfect shape.  All editable.  For starters, this is incredible!!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I agree with Fixx. I’ve done contract work (book design) where the final product was an InDesign file but that is (for me) a very edge case.

I do, however, have an archive of completed projects that (every so often) I’m asked to update for a client and I really (REALLY!!!) don’t want to have to keep a copy of InDesign on my system. I would like to make a clean break with Adobe and, at this point, InDesign is the holdout. 

That said, I don’t expect the migration to a new desktop layout application to happen overnight. I remember a long and strenuous transition from Quark to InDesign almost 20 years ago that still makes my left eye twitch.

IF Publisher turns out to be viable I can create IDML versions of those projects for which I have not already done so. (My normal workflow is to create an IDML from the final INDD file when a project is complete so I can open files on older versions of InDesign or Quark in a pinch.)

Importing INDD files into Publisher is not as important to me as importing (and possibly exporting) IDML files for maximum forward compatibility.

It would be great if the IDML import successfully imported the character, paragraph, and object styles.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:02 AM, vaultdweller said:

@Chris_K

Is there any planned timeline for this? Are we talking months, years?

As for adding InDesign import, it would be unwise for them to give any more release dates.  I am sure they learned a valuable lesson for APub's release.

My advice is to spend the time to get to know the program and let the process happen.

On importing PDF's created in InDesign, I tried that right away on a typical 4-6 page publication. Unfortunately, it really screwed up many of the text blocks by merging several of them together from far away places on the page. Would require a good deal of work to recreate the numerous text blocks, recreate the flows, etc.

We, likewise, really desire ID import. We're stuck on ID CS5 and have never desired to go on Adobe's subscription program. We have tonnes of routinely used documents for clients in ID files that we are always updating. If we had to rebuild/recreate every one of those, our clients would not be willing to pay us for that. We would be stuck doing a bulk of our work in ID. Thus it is important for us to be able to import and get better fidelity than I got trying a couple ID PDF's so far.

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

On 8/30/2018 at 11:09 PM, benwiggy said:

At the very least, importing IDML files is a must. Scribus and VivaDesigner both do this, and it's the only way to get punters to switch, if they've got legacy documents.

Agree.  I have 20 years' worth of INDD files and now laboriously, as time permits, wading through and exporting IDML so I can move to Quark and/or Affinity Publisher. But would be so good if Publisher could import/open INDD files.  can't wait to dump Adobe and their rip-off subscription system.

1 minute ago, pfbt said:

Agree.  I have 20 years' worth of INDD files and now laboriously, as time permits, wading through and exporting IDML so I can move to Quark and/or Affinity Publisher. But would be so good if Publisher could import/open INDD files.  can't wait to dump Adobe and their rip-off subscription system.

19 years technically ;^)

Peter Kahrel has a free batch converter script that will process whole drives if desired (but I would just do folders...). And there are likely other ones, but free is nice and Peter is a master scripter.

Just pick a day you're going to be out and those 19 years worth of ID files will be IDML files when you return.

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html

Mike

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

19 years technically ;^)

Peter Kahrel has a free batch converter script that will process whole drives if desired (but I would just do folders...). And there are likely other ones, but free is nice and Peter is a master scripter.

Just pick a day you're going to be out and those 19 years worth of ID files will be IDML files when you return.

http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html

Mike

Many, many thanks.  Also sounds like importing PDF works reasonably–very well..  However, I'll give the batch converter a trial tomorrow.

19 hours ago, Fixx said:

Most customers do not want InDesign source files, and most designers do not want to hand them over (unless compensated with $$$).

If you customer insists to have InDesign files, you better use InDesign for the job (I assume that is important customer).

If customer wants to build a work flow where it is possible to use Publisher, price is no problem and customer can purchase it.

I agree with these points but they aren't representative of every designer's business.

I have clients (mainly not-for-profits) who want to do seasonal updates to advertising (ie text changes), in which case I provide an IDML package. When they want a redesign then they come to me. They have staff who have learn't the basics of indesign but aren't designers. This workflow works for them but I don't expect they'll reskill to Publisher just because I have changed.

I have other clients where a styleguide may be produced by myself or another company and compatible templates need distribution to other designers. If Affinity Publisher can't slot in to that workflow, then it will be marginalised if Adobe is the only common ground.

Not all my work requires I provide original documents, but occasionally I do, and it works well for my client relationships.

Personally I am looking to move away from Adobe because I can't afford the subscription, and I would like to use Affinity products solely for my design work.  I own CS6 but indesign will no longer be compatible with next years OSX. My contingency is to run a virtual machine with High Sierra and CS6 -- but this is a messy contingency. So is running CC and Affinity together. A common file format is ideal. Affinity Photo exports PSD -- compatible with Photoshop, Designer exports EPS or SVG -- compatible with Illustrator and for Publisher I hope that IDML will close the loop with Indesign.

As a freelance creative, I have to use Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress—mostly from files supplied by clients who only know the very basics of their particular applications—and it has reached a point where I will no longer support/invest in the Adobe CC due to the costs and that I don't believe Adobe really has their customers' interests in mind any more.

As I have already migrated away from Photoshop to Photo and in the process of migrating from Illustrator to Designer, it will be great if Publisher will enable me to migrate away from InDesign/Xpress.

Therefore, in future, an ability to import/export INDD/IDML and QXP files WOULD BE AMAZING AND A HUGE DEAL FOR ME. :)

I am left wondering if the same people who are criticizing Publisher for no InDesign import/export and Quark import/export will also be on the Adobe and Quark forums criticizing them for no Publisher import/export? For me, this suite of products is the first real alternative to the Creative Cloud solution and at a fraction of the price, I will find ways of working around any shortcomings that may present themselves.

I've seen a lot of very negative comments in these forums, which IMHO are a tad unwarranted. It is an early BETA after all.

My congrats to the Affinity team on what promises to be a great alternative for professional designers and web developers.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:35 PM, pinky said:

Well that is just not good enough then, with no way to open commercial templates and Affinity not having their own for Publisher I think I'll pass to purchase the final version if it ever comes out. Good luck forcing people to work without templates.

I was using InDesign since 1999 as a pro and not even once was in need of a commercial template. No need to force me.

The independence of being able to open my own work without Adobe on the other side is important to me. So I never joined CC.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

19 minutes ago, doar said:

I am left wondering if the same people who are criticizing Publisher for no InDesign import/export and Quark import/export will also be on the Adobe and Quark forums criticizing them for no Publisher import/export?

I doubt if Adobe would take any notice of that request as it would not be in their interest to do so (especially as they are effectively a monopoly in the professional creative software suite environment).

However, I do agree with you and it seems like some are reacting as though this Beta 1.7.0.57 release is feature-comparable to InDesign 13.1.0.76 

I can't believe the number of posts requesting Import/Export of ID files. They obviously know this is an important feature for us. They acknowledge that it is being worked on and even gave us a pretty positive response in terms of when we can expect to see the import part of it. I am scratching my head at the number of people acting disappointed... If InDesign is a critical part of your daily work and you require these very specific capabilities this product may not be a smart move for you to consider as it is in the beta phase of development.

The bottom line is you are no worse off today than you were prior to this beta being released. Keep paying Adobe for now... I'm pretty sure they will still take your subscription money.

I am finding the beta amazing. I have not done any print testing as yet. If this program can print what I layout as I expect it to be printed I am all done with Adobe. The only reason I didn't switch from InDesign is because of printing issues. InDesign is an amazing and complicated program. It took many years to get to the level it is at. Let us enjoy the beta journey instead of coming up with unrealistic demands of what it must do for us today. If you require InDesign accept it... That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the process of getting a replacement in the future.

I am so grateful for these products as they truly allow me to have solid well-designed software at great prices. Adobe wants me to make a car payment sized bill every month. I do simple work that requires software that can handle what I throw at it. Serif has been a true gift for me. Adobe can kiss my Butt...

I am finding it amazing... Keep up the great work guys.

2 hours ago, doar said:

I am left wondering if the same people who are criticizing Publisher for no InDesign import/export and Quark import/export will also be on the Adobe and Quark forums criticizing them for no Publisher import/export? For me, this suite of products is the first real alternative to the Creative Cloud solution and at a fraction of the price, I will find ways of working around any shortcomings that may present themselves.

Being able to import AD/APhoto files has been a frequent request made to Quark for QuarkXPress. 

It is also been made quite clear by Serif that they will not allow the file format used by Affinity applications to be known by other companies.