You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unlock or override item from master page

While this is contrary to the concept of a master page, it is a feature in another page layout app, and designers like to break templates all the time... It would be helpful to be able to selectively unlock/override a master page element from an individual page.

• 6 months later...

I am constantly unlocking items and need this feature in Publisher. With InDesign, I can unlock master page items two ways: I can unlock all guides on a page at once from the Pages panel; or, Command plus shift and click on the locked item with the index (black arrow tool).

On 3/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, fde101 said:

You can do this already:

Right-click on the master page layer in the Layers studio and select "Edit Detached".

You should also find this option on the context toolbar when the move tool is selected and no layers are selected on the page.

I think his wish is to not unlock everything just parts of the page in a document that a master page controls....which would be great to have.

13 hours ago, DNA0101 said:

I think his wish is to not unlock everything just parts of the page in a document that a master page controls....which would be great to have.

I can't see something bad about unlocking everything, as long as he only edits the desired part.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

In the InDesign method, there is something bad if you unlock everything: you no longer have the benefit of a master page. Future changes made to a master page will not apply to the standard page that has everything unlocked.

However, we may be dealing with something much better than InDesign CS5.5 (my point of reference). The matter may have changed in the Publisher betas since this topic started (or maybe I did not realize it at the time). As I look at 1.7.0.283, the master page editing features go beyond ID's capabilities.  Publisher appears smart enough to understand what you have changed from the master page. If you turn a black box on the master page to red on a standard page, it retains that red, even if you move the box again on the master page...the red box on the standard page moves too. 

The only fault I see with Publisher is that the "Edit Detached" command does not seem to be available in the Preferences for Hot Keys. But maybe that is a good thing as well. It shouldn't be too easy to hack up a master page template.

Maybe a language barrier? I still do not see the problem, that everything is movable on the Master Page, when working in Detached Mode. Let's say, that there are 3 squares in the corners upper left, upper right, bottom right on the Master Page (already applied to 2 normal pages). Detach one square and move it elsewhere on page 1, detach one square and scale it on page 2, go back to the Master Page and make some changes. You will see these changes on pages 1 and 2 except for the detached elements.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Joachim_L, I'm not reporting a problem.  I'm saying that Publisher appears to handle this function better than InDesign.

Michail, to restore a master page, you can still "apply master..." to any page where you have edited detached master page elements. However, in the way that Publisher is detaching master page elements, it does not seem like it would be too much trouble for developers to allow the ability to restore individual elements instead of resetting the entire master page design.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, fde101 said:

Right-click on the master page layer in the Layers studio and select "Edit Detached".

You should also find this option on the context toolbar when the move tool is selected and no layers are selected on the page.

The first I can do, the context toolbar shows me nothing on the Mac other than "Document Setup...", "Spread Setup..." and "Preferences..."

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The first I can do, the context toolbar shows me nothing on the Mac other than "Document Setup...", "Spread Setup..." and "Preferences..."

Same on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Same on Windows.

This better not be a Mac Mojave feature, I really don't want to have to upgrade. I have ancient software which runs fine here but will need updating for Mojave... [huge-sigh emoticon] and [expletive deleted] 

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Same on Windows.

You have to select the Master page layer in the layers panel then the context toolbar changes

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You have to select the Master page layer in the layers panel then the context toolbar changes

Wonderful, thank you. I was getting tired of the right clicking and having to do over because I chose the wrong item from the pop-up menu.

19 hours ago, spamjim said:

Michail, to restore a master page, you can still "apply master..." to any page where you have edited detached master page elements.

You're not serious, are you? It is more cumbersome for the user to reassign master pages than to remove a detachment. And it requires rework in many cases. Imagine you work a lot with placeholder frames on master pages. Then, after removing and reassigning the master page, you have to fill all affected frames with content again.

It looks like the master pages are based on the symbol functionality. And the symbols can't do that at the moment either.

By the way, I very much regret that the symbols no longer exist in APub.

1 hour ago, Michail said:

You're not serious, are you?

Sadly, that is the current reality of things.  I don't think it should stay that way by any means, but it is the only option we currently have available for this.

3 hours ago, Michail said:

You're not serious, are you?

You're welcome to check my words by following the steps I describe.

Lighten up. There's no need for that kind of silliness.

I cannot imagine why you'd be cranky with my post when I explicitly state that what you want is likely possible if the developers take it a small step further.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:09 PM, DNA0101 said:

Yes please!

• 1 year later...

When  using InDesign, I can unlock any master page item by clicking with shift+command held down. I finally understood how to unlock the entire page (Edit Detached) but isn't this is a blunt instrument by comparison? How about a way to unlock a single item?

• 3 weeks later...

They simply had to copy Quark's concept. Everything you have on master pages is unlocked / editable / movable on any page by default without any link broken.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

28 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

They simply had to copy Quark's concept. Everything you have on master pages is unlocked / editable / movable on any page by default without any link broken.

That's too risky. Some explicit action should be required, as otherwise it's too easy to move modify something by mistake.

Publisher's approach seems more appropriate to me, though I could see making it more granular as @HarryW suggested above.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

That's too risky.

What is so risky? I never read in their forum or on Facebook page, any user had problems with their approach since very beggining.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I prefer the behavior in Affinity Publisher over how Quark handles things in this particular case.

I generally figure that if something is on a master page it is there to promote uniformity between pages.

Making it too easy to move that out of place on an individual page makes it too easy to break that uniformity.

I do like having the option to do this when I actually want/need to, but if they can be dragged around as easily as things that started off as page-specific items, as they can be in QuarkXPress, that makes it a bit too convenient to mess up a carefully planned layout.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

I generally figure that if something is on a master page it is there to promote uniformity between pages.

Making it too easy to move that out of place on an individual page makes it too easy to break that uniformity.

This is the same Quark offers. Just much simplier and elegant.