You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unlock or override item from master page

6 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

This is the same Quark offers. Just much simplier and elegant.

Not quite.

Quark allows you to move objects from master pages without needing to unlock them or indicate in any way that this is intentional.

This breaks the link between the object and the one from the master page, making it difficult to fix if not immediately discovered (to allow for undo).

Also, moving the object in Quark completely breaks its connection to the master, while in Affinity Publisher, only the modified properties (transform in this instance) become unlinked, so if the stroke width (for example) were to be changed on the master, it would still flow down to the page with the object that was moved in Affinity Publisher, but not in QuarkXPress.

Of course, in QuarkXPress, you have the option of taking that stroke width from an Item Style, the equivalent of which is sorely lacking in Publisher, and if objects are set up with those in Quark, then this added advantage of Publisher can be easily negated.

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 7:16 PM, carl123 said:

You have to select the Master page layer in the layers panel then the context toolbar changes

Bonjour
Désolé, je débarque avec mes pieds plats !
Cette méthode déverrouille ponctuellement le bloc dans le gabarit… et le modifie dans le gabarit.
L’idée (bonne) est de pouvoir déverrouiller dans la page et de modifier/supprimer dans la page sans avoir pour autant à créer une nouvelle maquette (comme dans xpress, indesign…)

Hello
Sorry, I’m coming in with my flat feet!
This method unlocks the block from time to time in the master… and modifies it in the master.

The (good) idea is to be able to unlock in the page and modify/delete in the page without having to create a new master (as in xpress, indesign…)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

17 hours ago, uneMule said:

This method unlocks the block from time to time in the master… and modifies it in the master.
The (good) idea is to be able to unlock in the page and modify/delete in the page without having to create a new master (as in xpress, indesign…)

Right-click the master page layer itself on the page and choose Edit Detached to make changes to master page items such that those changes only apply to the current page.

I would prefer to just simply shift+command (on the Mac) + click on the locked item instead of fishing through a lengthy assortment of layers to find the locked master page layer. Even when I select the locked item, and find it as selected in the layers menu, then right-click to find "Edit Selected," the sequence seems overly kludgy. By the way, how to unlock individual items was not mentioned in Affinity's Master Pages tutorial and I think it merits mention in future versions.

I'm still working on changing over to Affinity Publisher from InDesign CS6 and I think this autumn I'll probably try it on a couple of long-term clients.

7 minutes ago, HarryW said:

instead of fishing through a lengthy assortment of layers to find the locked master page layer.

Do you have the Preference set for Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers panel selected? It is in the User Interface section.

I have to say that I too wish the Edit Detached method as it stands was a bit quicker/easier to use.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, fde101 said:

Right-click the master page layer itself on the page and choose Edit Detached to make changes to master page items such that those changes only apply to the current page.

Bonjour fde101,
Effectivement, ça le fait. C’est un peu lourd… mais ça le fait.
ctrl+maj+clic sur l’objet c’est bien aussi :)
Merci pour l’info.

Hello fde101,
Yes, it does. It’s a bit heavy… but it does.
ctrl+shift+click on the object this is fine too :)
Thanks for info.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

16 hours ago, uneMule said:

ctrl+shift+click on the object this is fine too

That does not seem to do anything for me. What does it do for you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That does not seem to do anything for me. What does it do for you?

Bonjour Walt,
Je vous vois comme un boss dans les jeux vidéo 😊
Ça ne fait rien chez moi… dans plublisher s’entend.
Ça le fait dans inDesign et c’est beaucoup plus simple.
C’était le sens de mon commentaire.
Désolé de ne pas avoir été clair.
Bonne journée (ici il est 13h).

Hi Walt,
I see you as a boss in video games :)
It does nothing to me… in plublisher agree.
It does in inDesign and it’s much simpler.
That was the gist of my comment.
I’m sorry I wasn’t clear.
Good day (here it is 1 pm).

Toujours pas !

• 1 month later...

I have created a Master Page for a photo book. On the Master page I have inserted 6 rectangular empty photo frames and 6 text boxes for the captions for each photo, into the base Layer. the book will use the Master page 5- to 100 times.

When i insert this Master page into a document, I cannot change the size and position of each photo box. Only way I have is to click on Layer for the inserted page and > Edit Detached.

Is there a way I can put the 6 photo frames and caption boxes on a separate Layer in the Master and leave the properties of each empty photobox unlocked, so when I insert a Master page into the document, the boxes are not locked, but the other properties (eg page number and header etc) in the Base layer remain locked?

5 hours ago, WarrenT said:

When i insert this Master page into a document, I cannot change the size and position of each photo box. Only way I have is to click on Layer for the inserted page and > Edit Detached.

Is there a way I can put the 6 photo frames and caption boxes on a separate Layer in the Master and leave the properties of each empty photobox unlocked, so when I insert a Master page into the document, the boxes are not locked, but the other properties (eg page number and header etc) in the Base layer remain locked?

Short answer is No.

Longer answer is ... If you have 6 frames (plus Captions) that you wish to resize each time then I would use a Master Page "Photo Frames Only" with only those and just Copy and Paste from  "Photo Frames Only" for those times I want to quickly resize them. For the times where I am happy with the size and location I would apply that  "Photo Frames Only" Master overtop the Master Page with the page numbers and what all else is on every page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, WarrenT said:

Put the 6 photo frames and caption boxes on a normal page (let's call it page 1, for now)

Put the page number field, header etc on the Master page.

When you want to add a new page just select Page 1 and duplicate it. The photo frames and Captions will all be in the same (initial) position and unlocked. Whereas the page number field, header etc will all be derived from the Master page and locked as required

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.