You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here another vote on GREP and GREP styles.

In my case they are needed for Basque language, as there are three letter combinations that can't be hyphenated (ts, tx and tz)

On InDesign I use GREP to add a character style with no break to those combinations, as there is no hyphenation dictionary for Basque (Not sure if, as mentioned  in other posts, I could instal OpenOffice dictionary for basque on Publisher)

On 8/30/2018 at 9:56 AM, garrettm30 said:

Among several features that wowed right away and other "missing features" that I can work around, the one thing that stood out for me is the lack of GREP searches.

Ah yes, it's easy to spot heavy users of InDesign like myself. We absolutely love ID's GREP abilities, keeping in mind that doesn't just mean sophisticated text replacements. It also includes the ability deal with paragraph and text styles as well as an app's other formatting features, searching and replacing those too. The book drafts I work with run to hundreds of pages and, being scientific in nature, make heavy use of italics. I need the ability to import Word documents, retaining all the italic formatting that doesn't use the italic text style. I then need to be able to change those hundreds of italic fonts into an italic text style. With ID's GREP that's easy. I search for italic fonts and replace them with an italic style. Only then can I begin to do the layout in earnest. 

GREP has other marvelous time-saving advantages. Science texts often come to me with hyphens for page ranges that need to become N-dashes. Looking for every hyphen in a book would be a pain. GREP allows me to search only for hyphens that are bordered on both sides by numbers.

4 hours ago, Mike Perry said:

I need the ability to import Word documents, retaining all the italic formatting that doesn't use the italic text style. I then need to be able to change those hundreds of italic fonts into an italic text style. With ID's GREP that's easy. I search for italic fonts and replace them with an italic style. Only then can I begin to do the layout in earnest.

You can do that. Export from Word in RTF format to preserve italic formatting. (Publisher will preserve styles, too, if the source uses them.) Then in the Find panel, click on the top cogwheel, select Options > Font > Italic. In the Replace cogwheel, click Character Style > Emphasis. You don't have to put any actual text in either Find or Replace with. If there's no text in Find, it will find all text with the requested formatting.

Here is another vote on GREP and GREP styles.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I work on several magazines and I use grep styles every day. Working without it would be a huge waste of time for me. In this kind of job, texts change constantly ... Applying character styles manually in hundreds of lines whose text changes every day could drive me crazy ... :)

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

12 minutes ago, Burny said:

Applying character styles manually in hundreds of lines whose text changes every day could drive me crazy

I hear you brov. :(

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Fierys,

The typographic problem of "hanging conjunctions" doesn't exist in most languages, including English, because a single letter or digit at the end of the line is irrelevant in them.

That's not true. Many British publishers don't like 'I', 'A', and 'a' (the first-person pronoun and the indefinite article) at the end of a line, so you need the same kind of regular expression that you use for Polish one-letter prepositions and conjunctions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 3:56 PM, garrettm30 said:

I’m so totally stoked about this beta. I have spent a couple hours poking around, and I can say that this beta is further along than I expected. I have high hopes that this will in time replace Indesign for us (a small publisher), and it looks well on track.

Among several features that wowed right away and other "missing features" that I can work around, the one thing that stood out for me is the lack of GREP searches. In Indesign, I have a small series of GREP searches that I have saved over the past years, and I run nearly everything through them. A couple minutes on a typical file, and I have made several hundred changes. When I work on a book, the changes are in the thousands. (Note: I publish in French, and French typography relies heavily on non-breaking spaces; these GREP searches help me rapidly put them where they ought to go.)

While you're there: being able to save the searches as presets would be ideal. And as not everyone is familiar with GREP, a few pre-saved searches would help provide them immediate use: remove multiple spaces, remove trailing space, etc.

This is a variant on the text-handling query, isn't it? Seems to me ther are quite a few of us concerned about just that - checking, amending, updating reasonably large quanitities of text.

+1 for this.

I have also tried to replace one-letter prepositions manually (find and replace SPACE+'i'+SPACE replace with SPACE+'i'+NON-BREAKABLE SPACE…) just to try it. It takes years to replace all findings in book long text. It should work faster.

Otherwise very excited about Publisher so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...