You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’m so totally stoked about this beta. I have spent a couple hours poking around, and I can say that this beta is further along than I expected. I have high hopes that this will in time replace Indesign for us (a small publisher), and it looks well on track.

Among several features that wowed right away and other "missing features" that I can work around, the one thing that stood out for me is the lack of GREP searches. In Indesign, I have a small series of GREP searches that I have saved over the past years, and I run nearly everything through them. A couple minutes on a typical file, and I have made several hundred changes. When I work on a book, the changes are in the thousands. (Note: I publish in French, and French typography relies heavily on non-breaking spaces; these GREP searches help me rapidly put them where they ought to go.)

While you're there: being able to save the searches as presets would be ideal. And as not everyone is familiar with GREP, a few pre-saved searches would help provide them immediate use: remove multiple spaces, remove trailing space, etc.

• Staff

@garrettm30

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, and thank you for your suggestion

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Same here - I'm trying out this new soft, and so far GREP is the only one thing that I miss. Situation is quite similiar for publishing in polish. You have to put non breaking space on some stand alone characters, so they will be pushed into the new line. Would love to see this feature in Publisher :).

• Staff

@gaspar_schott

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I have merged your post into this existing similar suggestion thread, hope that is OK.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Patrick, could you tell us if you plan to add GREP (e.g. like the one in InDesign or JavaScript) to Publisher. It is a very important question for all potential Polish and Czech users of Publisher. In these two languages there is something which is called "orphans". The "orphans" are individual letters or digits at the end of the line of a text (see the included picture). It is a typographic error in Polish and Czech language. Adobe never implemented any option in their paragraph composer for removing the errors. But thanks to GREP one line of a code resolves the whole problem in InDesign. It is no problem if you work on a several-page document, but if you have to remove "orphans" in 500-pages book manually it becomes a very tedious work. Regular Expressions are a very useful magic programming tool.

Please, make GREP one of your priorities... or add an option in paragraph composer for removing "orphans."

The second thing very essential for many languages is support for Hunspell. The support for Hunspell will provide the spelling check and correct hyphenation in the languages (Polish, Hungarian etc.)

Great thanks for the Beta.

orphans.jpg

I am also to it. If scripting is not possible at the very moment/release of AP - GREP is a must,

both in Search/Replace criteria and Styles definition.

I would strongly suggest to enable both: Search AND Replace capability in Style definition, NOT Search exclusively...

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

• Staff
2 hours ago, Fierys said:

Patrick, could you tell us if you plan to add GREP

No I am not part of the development team, but as this thread is already so popular I will pin it for visibility.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

First of all thank you for this amazing first beta. I will definitly consider buying it.

What about  Search & Replace with Grep and Grep-Styles?

A workflow without of that is nowadays hard to imagine for me.

I've been looking for a way to automate publisher by scripts or actions and maybe i've been overlooking it, if not will there be somesometing in the future and, if so, in which language would these scripts need to be?

Yeah, i know its a beta, but can you guys tell me something about an exchange format like idml?
Is there something in the pipeline? To use Publisher productive i would need to extract all text for translation systems.

• Staff

@_lino_

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. I have merged your post into this popular related suggestion thread. Hope that's OK 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

16 hours ago, gaspar_schott said:

InDesign has the ability to add character-level styles to strings/patterns in paragraph styles, which is an extremely powerful and time-saving function. I would love to see this implemented in Publisher.

I would like to add my strong +1 to get this feature added to Affinity Publisher. This is especially useful with character styles as seen in inDesign. I completely agree with the quote above by gaspar_schott. I use this feature all the time and it's just great and an incredible a time saver. In fact the problems shown above in the Polish and the Czech language could be solved by one grep rule in the paragraph style.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

+1 for advanced Search and Replace / GREP as well as Styles based on it. (aka indesign GREP-styles)

so powerful!

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

A short correction to my previous post. What was called an "orphan" in it is more often called "wiszący spójnik" ("hanging conjunction") in Polish. The "Orphan" is a more official term and "hanging conjunction" is more colloquial. The typographic problem of "hanging conjunctions" doesn't exist in most languages, including English, because a single letter or digit at the end of the line is irrelevant in them.
As I see it, an "orphan" is the first line of a paragraph at the bottom of the column or page in Publisher, so please do not confuse these two different typesetting errors.

Forget about my request for supporting Hunspell, because I have found that Publisher supports it and it works well.

19 minutes ago, Fierys said:

A short correction to my previous post. What was called an "orphan" in it is more often called "wiszący spójnik" ("hanging conjunction") in Polish. The "Orphan" is a more official term and "hanging conjunction" is more colloquial. The typographic problem of "hanging conjunctions" doesn't exist in most languages, including English, because a single letter or digit at the end of the line is irrelevant in them.
As I see it, an "orphan" is the first line of a paragraph at the bottom of the column or page in Publisher, so please do not confuse these two different typesetting errors.

Forget about my request for supporting Hunspell, because I have found that Publisher supports it and it works well.

Thank you for clarifying, as I thought you were talking about something else. Widows and orphans in English refer to single lines at the start or end of a page that are separated from the rest of their paragraph.

The issue you describe is relevant in other languages as well. French is what I work with, and although it does not matter for words, it does matter with numerous punctuation marks, as there is a space that separates the punctuation mark from the word it precedes or follows. Inserting nonbreaking spaces is the solution.

This thread is about GREP, and indeed it is a useful tool in taking care of the situation.

I just downloaded Publisher beta and reproduced a couple of InDesign CS6 files containing tables. So far I love Publisher. You have done an amazing work at making it much more intuitive than InDesign. The first thing I missed though was GREP (find) and GREP styles. These are essential if you are designing a book, brochure of manual. In agreement with everyone in this thread, please add GREP to Publisher. Looking forward to replace InDesign.