You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize Frame with Image

When I place an image I would like to resize the image to my liking and to crop it without it gets resized. In Indesign I can do this manually and on top of that I have several numerical controls to change things. Are these possibilities missing or couldn't I find the right way to do it?

Cheers

Andreas

If you select the frame with the picture frame tool you should get some controls at the bottom to move and scale the image. You can also do it by selecting the image in inside the picture frame on the layers panel and resizing it with the move tool. Unfortunately it is not working at the minute but there is also a lock children option on the context toolbar which will let you resize the picture frame without changing the contents

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I know the frame tool is not working as it should, here are some observations.

Say, for instance, you have an eps logo that's on the large size for what you want and you resize it in the picture frame to get it to the size you want, if you then resize the picture frame, the logo immediately changes size, even if you lock the child logo layer. 

In the Properties tab it would be nice to have the option not to have the image anchored to a corner or side, sometimes you want to have the image floating in the frame while you resize it, especially as the image may be rather too large, this can happen when you're designing a layout, as sometimes the assets you have have not been cropped or you're working with low-res photolibrary images before they've been approved and purchased!

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

If you select the frame with the picture frame tool you should get some controls at the bottom to move and scale the image. You can also do it by selecting the image in inside the picture frame on the layers panel and resizing it with the move tool. Unfortunately it is not working at the minute but there is also a lock children option on the context toolbar which will let you resize the picture frame without changing the contents

I am trying to isolate a specific irregular section of an image. After highlighting a frame with the selection tool, then choosing the picture frame tool (because doing as you suggest, choosing the picture frame alone does nothing), Option-drag crashed the app.

I think is a question of time to have some shortcuts to manage images or have a contextual menu to do this. And a unique window to see frame size and proportion, size and position of the content.

We will see a lot of things to get better ;)

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

Yes, absolutely need to be able to easily resize the frame to crop images.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Aha! I see that the Crop tool does, indeed allow the image frame to be "cropped" in APub. Odd way to do it, but it appears to work. Select image, select crop tool, crop the frame. then using the select tool, double-click to move/slide the image to reframe. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

1.To resize the frame and reposition picture or portion of picture, FIRST resize and position the frame where you want it (I set "Properties" to "Max Fit", but can be any other).

2. The picture will resize within the frame, but ignore that for the moment.

3.THEN, double click the image. Now when you drag or pull on the handles the picture will expand or move, but stay within the frame.

But  I admit it's not a great fix, because a) you can't do the reverse and b) if after doing this you do a decide to change the frame again, and so do a single click on it, the moment you drag the frame, the photo will snap back to the original picture property,  undoing any picture sizing you did in step #3.

The previous post suggest much the same, except using the crop tool to modify the frame. It produces the same result, although....unless I'm wrong, appears to have the same problem: if you decide later to change the frame size, any picture resizing or reposition will be lost.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.