You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW file vastly different between processing software when jpg output

Hi,

My RAW files don't have as good an output to jpg using AP as when I use Adobe PS Elements Editor. I'm sure it's because when I open a RAW file in Adobe, it auto applies adjustments.

I've applied many adjustments to try and get the same result but still my flames are burnt out in AP and the whole image doesn't look as good as the Adobe jpg.

File DSC_1488b1 is with Adobe

File DSC_1488w1 is with AP

Any ideas?

Many thanks

DSC_1488b1.jpg

DSC_1488w1.jpg

Yes it is and why I'm posting this question - thanks for your help.

Like I've mentioned in another thread, I really don't like PP at all and do the bare minimal only - I've spent hours on this image trying to get the same results and researching why I can't seem to get similar results as Elements.

The RAW file is 25.9MB. I've not shared my RAW files before and I'm not on the Cloud (and don't want to be), so what's the best way to share this file?

Here's where I quickly managed to get (with settings).  In a nutshell, because of the extreme contrast of the source you need to get those highlights down and bring out the shadow detail - exactly what the shadows and highlights section is for.  As soon as you try to adjust by exposure you'll blow it all out.  A nudge up on the brightness helps bring out some of the dark to mid tones without blowing out the highlights.  I needed to drop the saturation down a little as it got very orange, and a little clarity helped with the pop.  This is with the developer assistant auto-applying a tone curve (lazy!).

Hope that helps, and fantastic image!

DSC_1488.jpg

Wow! Thank you and I'm amazed you were able to replicate the auto function. I have a lot to learn about PP and AF - like I said, I really do not like playing around in PP.

Thank you for your feedback - not bad for handheld, no flash, and loads of movement. :-)

Thank you so much again - very much appreciated. :)

I also played something with development.
@AffinityFran has described the path of development.
My settings as follows.:
Disable the Assistant Manager.
Exposure + 0.3%
Contrast + 3%
Clarity + 25%
The remaining settings, see the screenshot.

Cheers

Entwicklung.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

@Gnobelix

Many thanks! That also looks great - do you guys want to edit all my photos for me, ha, ha? :-) I've built a new website (not live yet) to replace my 7-year old site and have to re-select photos and edit once more  - I'll have around 4 to 500 images. The photos I edited whilst travelling in South America and randomly uploading in internet cafes, aren't up to scratch, so have a lot of work.

I didn't even know about the Assistant Manager, so reading up on this also now.

I'll have a go at reproducing this image again taking into consideration both of your suggestions.

Thanks again @Gnobelix and @AffinityFran for your guidance.

@Gnobelix and @AffinityFran

Just on editing images, what is the best persona to edit a RAW file or a jpg in AP?

I've watched countless hours of differing opinions, plus many Affinity tutorials and still not sure. Like I said, I don't want to spend an age editing one image as I have many to do: 60+ countries with around 10-20 images for each country to sort out, for my travel photography site.

I've read also that many professionals use the Document>Colour Format=>Lab (16 bit) function for many adjustments then convert back to the image's original colour format. Is this the best method of approach, or?

Many thanks :)

Hello Nilla,
for the editing of JPG is in my opinion Photo Persona the first choice and RAW file in Develop Persona.

The special features of LAB mean that you control the luminosity completely independent of the color components in channels A and B. This offers a number of advantages that other color models do not have.
The independence of the B-channel can also be used well in practice: For example, you can work out the often problematic shades of green from leaves without affecting other colors.

But, in the LAB there is a risk that you get out of the RGB color gamut and as a result, the colors are cropped and thus changed when converting the image back to the RGB mode. The Lab color  gamut is larger than the RGB color gamut

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

13 hours ago, Gnobelix said:

for the editing of JPG is in my opinion Photo Persona the first choice and RAW file in Develop Persona

For RAW files in Affinity, the Develop Persona is the only option! It is possible to edit a non-RAW file (such as JPG) in the Develop Persona, but you need to explicitly choose to do so. By and large you do not need to and the Photo Persona (the default) is the way to go.

LAB is only available in the Photo Persona.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I couldn't resist taking a peek. Quick tip - in the develop module, if you pull down the exposure, and you keep pulling it down and still there's no details in the highlights and it's just a flat block you have indeed unfortunately blown out the highlights when you took the shot.  Not surprising really given the lighting and the subject matter! :)

It looks like the highlights are completely blown out, so I can only think of two options - live with it, or cheat!  You could try cloning some flames from another image and replacing the blown out areas - there's a useful video here.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10