You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Implemented] Document Units - Picas

On 8/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, MikeW said:

Oh, Kip. It's only a bug if it were available but didn't work in some fashion.

Is not being able to have greater than 2 pages in a horizontal spread like in ID a bug also?

The maximum is 10 pages. ;)

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

• Staff

@hum3

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

You (and the many others here ) may be pleased to hear that we are currently internally testing picas as a new Affinity unit type. It may take a few iterations to implement perfectly, but soon enough should be what the contributors here are hoping for. It should be available in the next APub beta release due later this week, let us know if it works for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

17 minutes ago, Oval said:

And (later) for the AD beta?

Yes this is a new Affinity wide unit type. As long as the programmers remember to add it to the Ruler options it will be there in the first 1.7 beta of ADe and APh.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@hum3

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

You (and the many others here ) may be pleased to hear that we are currently internally testing picas as a new Affinity unit type. It may take a few iterations to implement perfectly, but soon enough should be what the contributors here are hoping for. It should be available in the next APub beta release due later this week, let us know if it works for you.

Hooray!!!!!!   You Affinities are superb!!!!!!!!!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 9/28/2018 at 10:05 AM, deleted.185456 said:

Developing software dosen't mean to operate over the modification of all lenguage and typographic cultures, I'm sure about; technology could chande the world but couldn't change the cultures of the nations world wide.

Great explanation, thank you. Sad that something so basic had to be explained to Affinity's developers. Clearly they need lots more input from potential users. To produce a program that professionals will want to adopt Affinity needs a better understanding of the job their software will be used for.

On 9/28/2018 at 2:25 PM, deleted.185456 said:

That technolgy could seen to change the cultures of the nations is due to the absolute absence of true culture in people who are convinced of this.

That technolgy cannot change culture(s) is the opinion of some people that are no scientists.

4 hours ago, tjpanda said:

Great explanation, thank you. Sad that something so basic had to be explained to Affinity's developers. Clearly they need lots more input from potential users. To produce a program that professionals will want to adopt Affinity needs a better understanding of the job their software will be used for.

Nothing sad about this at all.  The developers have already responded to our many requests about picas and have announced (see above) that this measurement option will be included in the next public Publisher beta.   In my book they are CHAMPIONS at responding to input from potential users.  I cannot think of any other entity (business, professions, government) that has been this genuinely attuned to its target population as the Affinity developers.  Nor, I might add, as courteous and as helpful.  As for me, I am not a potential user.  I am lined up and ready to be first in line to purchase this addition to their Affinity group, if humanly possible.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, Oval said:

Yep, but sometimes it needs much time to get green light. ;) better late than never

They are working on so many things right now.  Old adage:  Patience is a virtue.   Modern variant.  Virtue is its own reward.   

Thank you SO MUCH  for the picas!!!!!  But unless I am a blithering idiot, we still need a little help here.  Unless one views at about 400% magnification, the rulers show picas in strange increments (i.e. 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24).   For example, 12 picas are followed by three tiny little bars (which apparently represent 12p6, 13p and 13p6, and then by a taller bar that actually represents 14 picas.   To be really useful, we need each pica in 3 segments (12p, 12p3, 12p6, 12p9, 13p, 13p3, 13p6, 13p9) etc.  Each set of 4 increments of a single pica needs to be separated by a taller bar on the ruler.   Otherwise we are going to be working with our noses about 3 inches from the computer screen. 

I am also going to add a new topic in the Suggestions section about rulers and Guide.   

Even so, I am so very happy about the picas, and am sure there must be thousands of others who will be too.   Thank you again!!!! 

Ah ha!!!   Just fiddled around with 400% magnification and dragging guides, and have discovered that the picas are actually broken into extremely small units.  But just try settling on 12 picas.  You get 11.p.10.4472.  24 picas is 23.p.10/7172.   Etc.  What????  Hel'l'l'l'l'l'l'll'p!!!!

9 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Ah ha!!!   Just fiddled around with 400% magnification and dragging guides, and have discovered that the picas are actually broken into extremely small units.  But just try settling on 12 picas.  You get 11.p.10.4472.  24 picas is 23.p.10/7172.   Etc.  What????  Hel'l'l'l'l'l'l'll'p!!!!

It is fiddly but I could get it done quite easily, I do think this should be improved though. Do you have snapping on?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It is fiddly but I could get it done quite easily, I do think this should be improved though. Do you have snapping on?

No.  "Enable snapping" is not checked.  But "Icon and text" do have checkmarks beside the little arrow and magnet icons in the toolbar.

I don't quite understand what you mean so I'll just go ahead and guess (probably wrongly). 

image.png.232a61bf603783407e0bb0ff784d2896.png

Try with this ( and of course unlock the guides, I just noticed I have them locked here in this picture)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, j_sandb said:

Any plans on adding Cicero to the measurements?
This would help out an continental European a lot. :)

Not sure if you're being serious. And, definitely not an expert, but for whatever it may be worth, Wikipedia says:

Cicero (and the points derived from cicero) was used in the early days of typography in continental Europe. In modern times, all computers use pica (and the points derived from pica) as font size measurement – alongside millimeters in countries using the metric system – for line length and paper size measurement.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not sure if you're being serious. And, definitely not an expert, but for whatever it may be worth, Wikipedia says:

Cicero (and the points derived from cicero) was used in the early days of typography in continental Europe. In modern times, all computers use pica (and the points derived from pica) as font size measurement – alongside millimeters in countries using the metric system – for line length and paper size measurement.

Actually used it recently, it‘s still used in Switzerland and Germany. :)