You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Columns on pages

Hi, firstly amazing to see Publisher out now and good job

Just trying to set up a couple of documents that I have previously done on PagePlus and I can't see one feature I used to make extensive use of. In PagePlus on the margins section of Publication Setup it was possible to to set up Columns and Rows - am I missing something obvious or is this yet to come?

34 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

No you are not missing anything, this is something you have to set up manually with guides at the moment I'm afraid

Cheers

I have tried to do this but the guides can either be set out manually (by dragging with the mouse) or by typing in specific dimensions or %s in the guides manager. This is fine except if you're trying to do 3 equal columns it divides the page rather than within the margins.

We typically work with a 3 column arrangement in InDesign where there is a set spacing between the three columns and they are all equal divided within the margins.

Is this something that will be added in due course?

I hadn't even thought to check that this was included, it seems so core to the functionality of laying out pages. I work almost exclusively with column-based documents, with sidebars and images and headers that span column widths. Calculating all those gutters manually and placing guides is going to be a massive faff, and more likely than anything else to be the thing that stops me adopting Publisher for production work. A shame, as I hate InDesign with a fiery passion.

I've tried creating a text frame stretched to the full extent of the margins, dividing that into columns at the size I want, and then dragging out guides to trace the columns. It almost does as a work around, except there doesn't seem to be any way to make the guides (or other things, like picture frames) snap to the column lines, so it's not as precise as it should be.

11 hours ago, Chris_K said:

No you are not missing anything, this is something you have to set up manually with guides at the moment I'm afraid

Cheers

I afraid this is going to be your downside to this wonderful tool.  I have over 30 years experience with Quark and Indesign.  Having the ability to create columns while inside the new document dialog box, will be ideal.  If not that way but some way to have columns.  This is useful for those who have to place ads on the page.  There are justifiable reasons for columns guides that are not just text related.  Your way of dealing with columns is okay for adding text but man, your developers better are thinking this through.  In my opinion.  I'm just trying to help and I would love to get away from the big boys (Adobe).  This beta so far looks promising but I've spent hours to see a workaround.  Dealing with guides manually sucks.  Good work, just my .002

5 hours ago, somnolentsurfer said:

I've tried creating a text frame stretched to the full extent of the margins, dividing that into columns at the size I want, and then dragging out guides to trace the columns. It almost does as a work around, except there doesn't seem to be any way to make the guides (or other things, like picture frames) snap to the column lines, so it's not as precise as it should be.

Yes, I tried to explain that earlier but in a much less clear way. It would be a good and simply short term fix to enable snapping to the column lines.