3 hours ago, MikeW said:

It's always worked in Q since the feature was available.

Well try this. Create a 2 columns layout. Create a heading style with a rule above or below or both. The heading is still on the left column. Then redefine the heading style to span the columns. The rules are gone.

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Well try this. Create a 2 columns layout. Create a heading style with a rule above or below or both. The heading is still on the left column. Then redefine the heading style to span the columns. The rules are gone.

I did and showed the result. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

I did and showed the result. 

In that case I I'm not doing it right. I always though this was a bug. Need to investing that further. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Seneca said:

In that case I I'm not doing it right. I always though this was a bug. Need to investing that further. Thanks.

Which version of Q?

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

We are launching a new newsmagazine-style pub in March and having a big debate on using inDesign or AP.  We would like to standardize on Affinity. However, this is a “must have” feature for our type of publication. Even the old Ventura Publisher, circa 2000,  had this feature. Surprised it’s missing so far.

7 hours ago, whitewolf7070 said:

in March and having a big debate on using inDesign or AP

You shouldn't standardize on a product that is still in beta.  We don't know when Publisher will be released yet.

8 hours ago, fde101 said:

You shouldn't standardize on a product that is still in beta.  We don't know when Publisher will be released yet.

Agreed, but it's a reasonable contribution to this thread to say that absence of the "Span Columns" capability would prevent @whitewolf7070 standardising on AfPub.

In the recent Affinity Publisher Update email I saw this 

We were originally planning to launch Publisher before the end of this year, but we have decided to take a little more time over it with the hope we can get a few more of the features you are asking for in for our initial launch.

I support that delay - let's hope that Span Columns is one of those "few more features"

I hate to post just to say "me too" but I would love to see this feature (paragraph style span columns). I use it a lot in InDesign and workarounds with additional text frames for headings can leave me with a lot of text frames to move around at odd times, and breaks the flow of the text. 

So +1 for this feature please!

This is a feature that I also hope to see in Publisher at some point. I use it perhaps in about 20% of my documents. Maybe it can’t be added right away (they can’t do everything at once), but it would be good to know it's on the roadmap.