You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Span Columns

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

But would not span columns do for the 'empty' two column bits in-between the dates and descriptions? Seems to me to be a case of six of one and a half-dozen of the other.

I don't understand. There is a single column text frame being split into two columns for each film entry in my screen shot.

I see no way span columns could work.

One text frame with two columns and then a Span Column bit and back to two columns.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

One text frame with two columns and then a Span Column bit and back to two columns.

If one is going to use a two column frame, I don't see why the use of the span just to space out the entries.

But as APub cannot do either, try using a two column frame for a couple entries. I think you'll find with APub's current limitations just using a table us far quicker. 

I was assuming there was something supposed to be in the empty space, reviews, synopsis etc. 

We are discussing two items which are not available to us in Publisher. I too will stop no. I will think about your challenge (not really a challenge) it is an interesting problem for sure and if I come up with a solution I guarantee there will be an update earlier the same day and it will include Split 'N Span™ columns.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Here is some sample text. Do understand that A) it's not my text but rather a sample bit of text from someone else's work, B) I just used it for a sample to a problem to solve in order to write 3 tutorials of various ways on formatting this block of text.

I do something akin to this. And I do get 2-3 pages of this type of text, along with the other text. I.e., it is all part of a single, plain text story that I run a series of regex on that takes about a minute or two to do in order to convert it to tagged text that is then imported into Q fully formatted...all told there are 16 pages in the section that contains the 2-3 pages of this stuff.

TUE
Nosferatu (PG)
7–9pm
Minghella Building
Germany 1922. Directed by F.W. Murnau – with Max Schreck, Greta Schroder, Ruth Landshoff
81 min

TUE
Detroit (F-Rated, 15)
7.45–10pm
Palmer Building
USA 2017. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow – with John Boyega, John Krasinski, Anthony Mackie.
143 min

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

It's OK that you don't get it.

Oh well, I see that construct may be useful and it is not easy to create with current tools. Still, span is a paragraph property and split works with text frames, AFAIK.

15 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Oh well, I see that construct may be useful and it is not easy to create with current tools. Still, span is a paragraph property and split works with text frames, AFAIK.

No, split is also a paragraph property. At least in Q.

+1. This would be a great addition.

Even if you add another text frame with your "Chapter" text which bumps down the body text, the TOC will mess up and get the chapter and subheadings in the incorrect order.

You can select your Chapter heading style and click "no break" which will allow it to span columns, however, when the body text wraps to column 2, it will be underneath the chapter header text. 

I just tried to use Publisher for my first project since its release and I had to back out. Span columns is such a key part of my workflow and I couldn't find a good enough strategy to replace it unfortunately. I love everything else though (except mail merge, which I didn't need now but is a very big missing ability), so I'll be checking to see when I can start using this full time. Very excited for this product for sure though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1. This is really useful.

Please, take this in mind to append  to Publisher. 

I was searching for this option in all  menus, functions, and option windows... without lucky . Finally, searching in forum... i see this option is not implemented.

Thanks a lot. Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, whitewolf7070 said:

Has Span Columns been added yet? It is a BASIC feature without which AP is not useable. 

Really? What have I done all the years without? :D

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

For some it does make it pretty unusable. It's part of a lot of people's workflow, so maybe you've got another way of working but for me and many others there is no truly practical workaround so I just have to keep using indesign. It's frustrating.

Edited by fordtimelord

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...