You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Span Columns

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

It's always worked in Q since the feature was available.

Well try this. Create a 2 columns layout. Create a heading style with a rule above or below or both. The heading is still on the left column. Then redefine the heading style to span the columns. The rules are gone.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Well try this. Create a 2 columns layout. Create a heading style with a rule above or below or both. The heading is still on the left column. Then redefine the heading style to span the columns. The rules are gone.

I did and showed the result. 

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

I did and showed the result. 

In that case I I'm not doing it right. I always though this was a bug. Need to investing that further. Thanks.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

We are launching a new newsmagazine-style pub in March and having a big debate on using inDesign or AP.  We would like to standardize on Affinity. However, this is a “must have” feature for our type of publication. Even the old Ventura Publisher, circa 2000,  had this feature. Surprised it’s missing so far.

8 hours ago, fde101 said:

You shouldn't standardize on a product that is still in beta.  We don't know when Publisher will be released yet.

Agreed, but it's a reasonable contribution to this thread to say that absence of the "Span Columns" capability would prevent @whitewolf7070 standardising on AfPub.

In the recent Affinity Publisher Update email I saw this 

We were originally planning to launch Publisher before the end of this year, but we have decided to take a little more time over it with the hope we can get a few more of the features you are asking for in for our initial launch.

I support that delay - let's hope that Span Columns is one of those "few more features"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

It is really helpful, but never a „Must“.

I produced newspapers and magazines for decades without this „Must“.

No need to wait for this feature in the first release of „Publisher“. It won‘t be there.

It's true that it is not a must, as in I wouldn't ever be able to work without span columns. But with new capabilities can come quicker, more assured work-flows. Which in the end saves money.

Edited...

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Without span columns, one would use tables in APub.

Um, I believe that case is something else than span columns. In this case I would set "Start next column" to a para style and let text jump from text box to next according that.

I did a lot of magazines before Span Columns was introduced in ID. It was awful amount of copy-paste-position work for headlines and lead texts. Span Columns helped a lot.

7 hours ago, Fixx said:

Um, I believe that case is something else than span columns. In this case I would set "Start next column" to a para style and let text jump from text box to next according that.

I did a lot of magazines before Span Columns was introduced in ID. It was awful amount of copy-paste-position work for headlines and lead texts. Span Columns helped a lot.

Oops. Sorry Fixx.

I was getting interrupted and pasted the wrong text and uploaded the wrong images. My post was going to extol the virtues of both span and split columns (which is what the images were of).

Maybe I'll revisit it. Or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Span columns seems to be possible with the newly introduced Pinning feature. I would love to hear from the experts (and the other, too) if is what you've been asking for.

1. Create a document with a text frame that has multiple columns ... and some text in it.
  2. Create another text frame that spans across at least two columns.
  3. Set text wrap to 'Jump'.
  4. Set pinning to 'Float'. Anchor the text frame to where you want it to be placed.
  5. Add some text and style it in the way of a quote or header.

If you now add (or remove) some text above this floating text frame it spans across two columns. Maybe it needs some fine tuning but this looks promising to me. What do you think?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

35 minutes ago, dominik said:

Span columns seems to be possible with the newly introduced Pinning feature. I would love to hear from the experts (and the other, too) if is what you've been asking for.

1. Create a document with a text frame that has multiple columns ... and some text in it.
  2. Create another text frame that spans across at least two columns.
  3. Set text wrap to 'Jump'.
  4. Set pinning to 'Float'. Anchor the text frame to where you want it to be placed.
  5. Add some text and style it in the way of a quote or header.

If you now add (or remove) some text above this floating text frame it spans across two columns. Maybe it needs some fine tuning but this looks promising to me. What do you think?

d.

Sorry, no. The Span Columns feature is very simple: Just add the optional paragraph attribute "Span Columns" and a variable of how many columns you want a particular paragraph, such as a title or heading, to span. That's it. When this feature is invoked, the paragraph with this attribute will go across the number of column specified, but only that paragraph. It will have all the formatting assigned to it, but just span across columns.  It is vital for making headlines where you need the title or headline to span the entire text box while the rest of the text flows into the columns in the text box. It is very handy and essential when resizing text boxes. If the headline is in a separate text box. you have to resize and reformat TWO text boxes and make sure they are correctly aligned every time you change something. What a pain! This "Span columns" is really elementary stuff. As I have said before, Quark, ID, and even the old Ventura Publisher have had this basic, essential feature since the 1990s. I am not criticizing, just observing and making the point that for me as a newspaper, magazine publisher for more than a quarter century, it is an essential feature. I would LOVE to switch to AP, but really can't as long as this feature is missing. I am probably not the only one. 

1 minute ago, whitewolf7070 said:

It is vital for making headlines where you need the title or headline to span the entire text box while the rest of the text flows into the columns in the text box. It is very handy and essential when resizing text boxes. If the headline is in a separate text box. you have to resize and reformat TWO text boxes

Hi @whitewolf7070,

thank you for this explanation. In this regard the current workflow is inferior or maybe something more like a workaround.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

16 minutes ago, whitewolf7070 said:

If the headline is in a separate text box. you have to resize and reformat TWO text boxes and make sure they are correctly aligned every time you change something. What a pain! 

You can avoid some (most? all?) of that hassle by simply grouping the two Text Frames. Then if you need to resize or move them as a unit, just select the Group (rather than one of the individual frames) and they move or resize together.

spanning-sample.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1