You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Promote from Master page

One thing I've found useful in PP is the 'Promote from Master Page'. I realise I can add guides to the master page in APub, but would like the option to include items on the master page that could be promoted and reused on the page eg a regular text box for a booklet.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

No, just tried this, the 'master page' items are removed from the master page when moved up and they also disappear from subsequent pages. They need to be copy and pasted from the master page in the layers panel then the master page items made invisible in the layers panel. Either way, it's more work than the simple (and less time consuming) 'promote from master page' option that PP uses.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

Agree, it would be 'useful' if the master page items that appear in the layers panel for each page/spread were local rather than global so that when an item is unchecked, e.g. a page number from a particular page is unchecked in the layers panel for that page it only affects than one page. At the moment unchecking a master item from the layers panel of individual pages hides it from all pages using that master and dragging the item out of the master items folder doesn't change this behaviour.

So for example you may have your master page set up to include say page numbers on each page and a graphic of some sort, say a horizontal line above the page number which may suit the overall design, however if you then have a full page photo on a particular page where you don't want either the page number and graphic to appear it would be nice if you could simply uncheck those items from that pages master items without it affecting all the other pages...

At the moment the only practical way round this is to use a seperate master page without said page number and graphic and apply that master to the page in question. Seems a bit long winded and uneccessary.

Is there any practical reason why master page items in the layers panel for individual pages couldn't be local rather than global, so a single master could be used and master items selectively hidden if required on a page by page basis? I'm not sure I see the benefit of these being global in each pages layers panel...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

I definitely have to agree Ken Cope. In PP I have all my masters setup with text boxes where they should be. Promote From Master is absolutely essential when you're writing novels, like I do. I can't imagine having to create every text box for 300+ pages and having to go to Text Styles to set the correct style for each box, then having to type in the common text yet again--like chapter headings. Easy peasy! Besides being time consuming, It would drive me batty! With PP, I simply promote the text box, change the chapter number, and replace "Title" with the actual chapter title. Please add Promote From Master.

12 hours ago, Hangman said:

At the moment the only practical way round this is to use a seperate master page without said page number and graphic and apply that master to the page in question. Seems a bit long winded and uneccessary.

You can use multiple Master Pages (per Page) and put elements that occasionally need to be ‚turned‘ off on separate Master Pages. This worked for me so far.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi dominik,

That was exactly my point, you end up 'having' to use multiple masters which just seems a little wasteful because each page has the elements contained on the master page in its layers panel so my suggestion was why not make these elements local rather than global at page level so that you could simply use a single master and say for example uncheck the page number or a graphic if it wasn't required for that particular page by unchecking it for that page only.

At the moment if you uncheck a page number in the 'master elements' layers for an individual page it hides the page numbers on all the pages. I'm not really sure I follow the logic of that. If hiding an element on an individual page only affected that page then it would be quite a powerful option...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

I also have big need for "promote from master page" i do use it a lot. But i would like to have also another option so i can choose master page object and choose "individual content" for it. This should not remove object from master page so picture or text frame on a normal page still belongs to master page. This gives me option to move/resize objects afterwards only in a master page so all changes becomes also to normal pages, except all just have individual content. 

10 hours ago, Hangman said:

you end up 'having' to use multiple masters 

I am not quite sure but I think there is not so much difference between having ‚multiple masters‘ and ‚having multiple exceptions from master‘. But perhaps I haven‘t thought this through completely :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

This area of the program has been reconsidered and redesigned. 

Perhaps the readers of this thread would like to try our initial attempt at adding the Master Page text frame and picture frame behaviour and features discussed here.

Please create new bugs forum threads for any bugs you find or post in this discussion/suggestions forum for missing features.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the update, Patrick.

I've not any time until next week now, but will spend some time next week looking at this :D

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

This area of the program has been reconsidered and redesigned. 

This looks very promising.

I created a new document with nested master pages. Imported a 400+ pages document via RTF from a current book project (with text styles). Added masterpage with picture frame including text wrap. This all worked well and makes sense to me :)

The only drawback: with 400+ pages changes to master pages cause considerable lag on updating pages.

d.