You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher cannot open InDesign files?

If I look at a directory in which I know I have some InDesign files when trying to open documents in Publisher, I don't even see the InDesign files, which leads me to believe that Publisher can't open them? This makes no sense and is something that needs to be present as a functionality. I mean, if this is supposed to be Affinity's version of that program, just like Designer can open AI files, Publisher needs to be able to open INDD files.

It's not a "major flaw", it's just something Publisher doesn't do (yet?).

Even though it would be nice, if it did, there are two things preventing this:

1) Adobe has a so called ,closed' file format and doesn't tell other companies HOW to work with their files (not even their own Photoshop opens InDesign files)

2) InDesign has a LOT of features that are different from Publisher and there's a lot of things Publisher cannot do (at the moment / yet), so IF it was able to open InDesign files, the resulting Publisher files would look very different anyways.

The safest way to get your work from InDesign to Publisher at the moment, is to save as PDF and them import into Designer or Place in Publisher.

Thank you Jens, I'm experimenting the workflow that you have suggested, and it seems to be ok. I have a big archive of documents (almost 20 years of work) made in Indesign, and I'll have to find a way to bring them into Affinity Publisher, to make a definitive switch.

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 7:55 AM, dolunaykiz said:

If you try it from Explorer, you get "this file type is not supported". This is a MAJOR flaw IMO.

InDesign doesn't even open its own files; a couple of versions beyond the version a designer is currently using and the newer version files cannot be opened by the older version. At one point, I had to go through a couple of exercises in backward compatible file saving and/or exporting (from the latest version) to special formats in order to open newer INDD files in older versions of InDesign. It's just far too complicated for even Adobe to remain backward compatible with itself as their own newer versions are released. The option of outputting InDesign files to hires .pdf files appears to be a great option. I've been using Affinity Publisher (beta) for about 4 hours in total. But I taught digital design and publishing for 35 years, and believe me, all hell broke loose every time the college updated to a new version of anything commercial, or entirely new software and/or computer platform, leaving my students to either rush out and buy the latest software or version or platform or OS upgrade, or simply NOT be able to do assignments outside of class time. Many of my students went to Affinity Photo early on. In the last 4 hours I've been exploring Affinity Publisher (beta), as well as importing and evaluating multi-page documents from both InDesign hires .pdf files and Quark 7 .pdf files. Impressive!