You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Word (.doc) file import

I think support for docx is more important and file format should be better documented. People do not use .doc so much anymore.

You can of course use MS Word as "converter" and save as rtf which Publisher gladly imports :-)

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

I think support for docx is more important and file format should be better documented. People do not use .doc so much anymore.

You can of course use MS Word as "converter" and save as rtf which Publisher gladly imports :-)

As I wrote - 100% of my clients gives me his books in .doc :) With footnotes and others very important things in book. So for me and making books, it's very important.

10 hours ago, Fixx said:

For those of us in the gaming industry (tabletop) we use MS Word quite a lot. There are several plugins that provide better editing power. For example we use both SmartEdit and ProEdit when working on projects.  

10 hours ago, Khertens said:

One way I was able to this is to export from word to pdf (if you have a bnewer version of word) and the open the pdf in affinity publisher.

We tried this with one of our PDFs, it worked somewhat. All of the table cells were seen as individual text boxes. With over 15 tables that would be too much to re-edit. 

I have to agree with the sentiment that importing a Word file is high on the list for us. We are a small group looking to get into DTP and have been holding out for publisher since it was announced. 

1 hour ago, Morgoth said:

Are we overlooking something? 

Yes. Text> Insert Text from File...

You need to have an active text frame to import to.

And yes, that is clumsy. I wish we could use a common Place-command to import both text and images.

So, we tried this and two things are happening.

1) The text appears in the first box, when clicking the eye icon, all the text disappears, not just the overflow text. 

2) When we try to link two text boxes together, instead of overflowing from one to another, it moves all the text from one box to another. 

So, we tried creating two pages, with two linked text boxes. When the text is inserted into the first box. It instead appears in the second box.