You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta Installation Problem on Windows 10

Hey Affinity-Team,

greetings form germany and thank you for the Publisher beta - can't wait to start.

Unfortunately the beta will not install, the installer will simply not start (or crash before showing any reaction). I searched the forums and found installation tips for Designer and Photo (I had the same problems with the recent update).

There you suggested to convert the ".exe" to a ".msi" via /extract - which worked great for Designer and Photo. The msi asked me for a mail-address and a licence key (which for Designer and Photo I have) and then I could install the programs via the msi. Unfortunately this does not work for Publisher beta because the msi too asks me for a mail-address and a licence key (which I do not have since it's beta) and so I cannot install the beta.

I would be veeeeery greatful if you could help me!

Also, I got the installations' logfiles and it says that the installation terminated because "The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Media.FontFamily' threw an exception." Perhaps this helps too.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Zoahr

It looks like a corrupt/invalid font problem inside Windows.
This is one of the more relevant search results. It's for Visual Studio but explains what to look for:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2978135/visual-studio-setup-crashes-with-an-exception-after-the-splash-screen

Also, be sure to run the latest .Net updates, as something is causing issues like this in older versions of .Net apparently.

Hope it helps,

rob

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

How reinstall .Net? 

I have latest .net version and there is no possibility to install it on the same version.  

Probably i should uninstall .net and install it again but i dont see any option for it…   

EDIT - 

Windows 10 systems, however, with current updates from Microsoft, will not have any option to uninstall .NET”

Hi, 

I tried to use the solutions mentioned but I still cannot install the Affinity Publisher beta ( I even restarted my current PC after installing the latest Windows 10 update). The screenshare below shows what happens when I try to install (I opened task manager so you can see what happens). 

2018-09-01_19-32-52.gif.46835dd55a9b2531835233ffc8d6188a.gif

6 minutes ago, JamesD said:

I tried to use the solutions mentioned but I still cannot install the Affinity Publisher beta

There are additional suggestions for users who have been having trouble installing the latest version of Designer and Photos on Windows. As the installer for Publisher is very similar, perhaps one of those suggestions will help you. See this post for the details.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are additional suggestions for users who have been having trouble installing the latest version of Designer and Photos on Windows. As the installer for Publisher is very similar, perhaps one of those suggestions will help you. See this post for the details.

I tried those, even looked for any problems from invalid fonts (didn't anything wrong). I did send the setup log to the dropbox on that post, so unless I can find a way that works I may have to wait until the next beta update (I really don't want to, though). 

Hi all

there is an issue with some fonts and our current installer. The main culprit we have found is avenir next. You can remove this font or you can turn off .NET 3.5 in the Windows features sections and it should allow you to install the app. We should hopefully have it sorted in our installer within a couple of builds

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.