You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnail size

It would be good idea  if the  user could change the thumbnail size in the 'Layers, and Channels' panels. The current size is way too small especially when dealing with masks on a layer. Please let the user have the option to modify the interface to suite monitor size and eyesite!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This has been raised on a number of threads. I have had Affinity Photo sitting on my computer for about a year, but I keep drifting back to Photoshop. The reason? I can't work with those near useless, little thumbnails in the layers panel. I flick my eyes to the layers panel constantly while I am working and having a decent sized thumbnail helps me quickly see which layer I am working on, without necessarily having to stop and read the description (assuming I have got around to changing it). Until something is done about this problem, I expect Affinity Photo will continue to gather dust in my apps collection. I wonder how many potential Affinity converts have been put off by this when trialling the product? It might not seem like much, but it can be a significant work flow issue.

• 3 months later...

Just like you I am still disappointed by Affinity Photo. I bought Affinity Photo from day one purchasing Windows and Mac versions when available. Unfortunately, because of the lack of movement on suggested improvements that really matter to professional photographers, I too keep using the Adobe products.

The fact that in 'Affinity Photo’ the opening and processing of RAW files is really sloooow, there appears to be no way to edit RAW files and apply setting to a whole batch of RAW images directly in Photo, as I can in ACR & Lightroom, is disappointing. Still no way to change the thumbnail sizes in the panels..

When opening multiple raw images at the same time it gets sluggish and unresponsive, it then takes ages to apply lens correction etc (which normally takes fractions of a second in my old Adobe software and in On1). The other thing that is a real bugbear is that any lens corrections you select do not have a preview; you have to wait until the image is processed. It really needs to have a preview in real time so you can see if it’s worth applying the so called correction. I mean who wants to open up the same image twice to see if its done anything worthwhile?

The speed performance definitely takes a hit when editing RAW files, so ‘Affinity/Serif’ need to do some more work to get it in to the same league as the  more established software to make it a worthy contender.  (I tend to use Affinity more on a windows machine:  8 Core  - 16GB Ram - SSD HD computer) I  see performance issues only with Affinity, everything else fly’s .

I know ‘Affinity’ is the new kid on the block but it lack things that are really useful. To be really serious about taking on Adobe and others they need to make the product as good as or better than the competition. I hope Affinity Photo gets there, but I may have to wait a few more years! Meanwhile, I’ll keep using it on the occasion when I am feeling playful and inquisative, but for my work I’ll keep using the old Adobe product that does the job and use ON1 to access newer RAW files, or ‘Canon’s DPP’, or Adobe DNG converter to get at my images, as I refuse to use CC.

To the ‘Affinity’ developers sorry for being so negative on your hard work. Hopefully, you will get there.

Clarification on the lens correction. I am talking about the 'Chromatic Aberration Reduction' and 'Defringe' section (lacking a preview) not the Distortion section. However, I see no immediate change when switching on the 'Lens Correction' even though Affinity Photo is supposed to use a data base of lenses.

Another sadly missing feature is the ability to see what lens profile is being used, with drop down menus just like other software.