You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Book publishing

10 hours ago, Wosven said:

You can do this using "Next style" in the styles and "Apply xxx and Next Style" (but I don't understant yet why it's sometime unavalaible, if it's because the applied style of the selection is the same, it should be available too), and "Decorations".

2018-09-03_235957.png.7c58a45d5470d7700b8f56decac28bdd.png

2018-09-03_235743.thumb.png.50e79ba2906a5daa9b25da28597600f6.png

test_alternance.afpub

NB. I don't understand why you wrote 293'130 mots (we use a no breaking small space between number, not a quote), and for the back cover, it's better to keep articles with their name "la pathologie", "la gynécologie", "de la médecine", etc. Oups ! :S I shouldn't work here…

Thank you for your highly appreciated answer. Your file is a great help for me!

Concerning your remark "space between number’. Thank you for your remark. In French and German the usage is quote ( ' ). This lead me to some confusions I have to correct, thank you !

http://www.dicoklein.ch

18 hours ago, Mike Perry said:

I will flat-out not use or recommend an publishing app that forcing me to do editing, proofing, and layout in chapter-length segments.

Just to be clear, PagePlus doesn’t force you to use chapter-length segments, it merely allows you that option. This is very useful for multi-contributor projects such as the Affinity workbooks, but it can make some editing tasks more difficult.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Thomas-B said:

In French and German the usage is quote ( ' ).

When @Wosven wrote “we use a no breaking small space between number, not a quote”, she meant “we French speakers”. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Seems to me a potentially useful addition to help with the organizational issues dealing with multiple chapters would be to simply allow pages to be organized into "groups" / "folders" that could then be collapsed in the page list - even call them "chapters" perhaps...

11 hours ago, Thomas-B said:

In French and German the usage is quote ( ' ).

10 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

When @Wosven wrote “we use a no breaking small space between number, not a quote”, she meant “we French speakers”. ;)

Here a fabulous site about orthotypographie  (Typographical syntax) where typographers discussed and debated — sometime strongly — of the best way to write and ponctuate in French. It's the page about numbers :) , and I confirm we only use spaces or a coma between numbers (lazy people can insert a point instead of a coma, since it's conveniently on the numeric pad, but it's frown upon).

I am the author of 5 books, all using InDesign. I would love to give Adobe the heave ho.

With 250,000 words and 800 illustrations in a typical book, a single file system is unmanageable. (A print ready PDF is over 1GB.) Being able to do concentrate on each chapter as a separate file and then having a book feature to pull them together, effect automatic updates of the contents, indexing and pagination is essential, not to mention proofing, checking and ensuring common styles. It should still be possible to load all book chapters at one go and do global search and replace, but recognize it may challenge the hardware. I cannot visualize an alternative approach without it being a cop out.

For me, saying goodbye to Adobe CC requires all three Affinity apps and without a book feature ... .

On 8/30/2018 at 2:51 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi kironm

The app does not import .ppp files. We do not have any facility to marge multiple documents into a book like PagePlus , we also do not have epub export. I can say if it will or wont be added in the future as I don't make those decisions I'm afraid

In the antique publication of Affinity website said that APublisher will be e pub options, I'm hope that it will be in the future.

An official statement by someone from the team would be much appreciated here! I also would use publisher mainly for creating books for printing (novels in a single pdf), so I would need master pages for setting up the main text and chapter titles, front and back matter etc., linked text frames in master pages etc. Will some of this functionality be implemented in the final version or not? Just wondering.

Thanks

There is no loss in functionality or global editing with the book features in InDesign. It allows one to manage a project effectively. As a book grows, single file editing becomes less viable. It is inconceivable to edit a 600 page fully illustrated book as one file.

Affinity has made great strides across their applications, they just need to let the community know if this is a temporary, accidental or deliberate miss.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 5:56 PM, Thisismandatory said:

I would disagree, since if you have a book in one file, than any minor change can be implemented with one command book wide.

Really?  I would like to see someone try loading a 400 page book with 600 illustrations. Even with a file per chapter, indexing a book of this size in InDesign is troublesome. Trying to do that in a single file is fine for flimsy publications, on a proper book is nuts.  You do not need a single file to do a book wide change. You can already do that in InDesign books, such as global search and replace, style changes and so on.

15 hours ago, CJW said:

Really?  I would like to see someone try loading a 400 page book with 600 illustrations. Even with a file per chapter, indexing a book of this size in InDesign is troublesome. Trying to do that in a single file is fine for flimsy publications, on a proper book is nuts.  You do not need a single file to do a book wide change. You can already do that in InDesign books, such as global search and replace, style changes and so on.

We're hoping that Affinity Publisher's performance will be good enough for the single document approach to be feasible.

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 3:09 PM, Mike Perry said:

I can give an illustration why I feel so strongly. Suppose some word in an entire book needs changing. That is a very common problem. With that entire book handled by ID, I simply do a document-length search and replace (rather than a story-length one). I typically could do that in less than a minute. With each chapter in a separate document, I might need to do a dozen or more searches and take perhaps 15-20 minutes. I won't put up with that nor will I put up with some complicated process to create and merge contents, an index, or pages into a PDF. I want the book to be in and managed as one document. Again, I don't think that'll be an issue with AP.

Well - as the author of three 300+ page fully-illustrated books, it takes a few minutes to change a word in the entire book of 30 chapters. In ID, in the book menu, I select the first and shift select the last chapter, opening all chapters. A find and replace works just as with a single file, albeit with a few crashes AS THERE IS SO MUCH CONTENT OPEN. It is however the very last thing I do and I put up with it, having created all the chapters in separate manageable files.

• 1 year later...

When can we expect this feature to be implemented?

I'm currently working on a 400 page book where every "chapter" is from a different author, so if I want to change the order of these "chapters", I can do it easily in inDesign because of the Book feature. I wouldn't even dare working on a single document.

13 minutes ago, andre_floyd said:

When can we expect this feature to be implemented?

I'm currently working on a 400 page book where every "chapter" is from a different author, so if I want to change the order of these "chapters", I can do it easily in inDesign because of the Book feature. I wouldn't even dare working on a single document.

Hello @andre_floyd,

you won't get any information about when this feature will be included (or even if). This is not the current policy of Serif. You can check the list of features of the current beta version. This is the only place where you find information on what is going to be included in the next release.

You find this list at the top of this forum: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/58-publisher-beta-on-windows/
But it is a little tricky because a new feature may be listed in one beta version as new but maybe in the following not any more. But usually new features also are discussed in the above linked forum and something like a book feature would pop up there with several topics 😉

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil