You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overprint preview

no no no, thats overkill! and not-done in Indesign. I'm talking about all other colors except standard black. What if you have a color swatch 50% black, sometimes you want to knock it out and sometimes you want it to overprint. Making 2 swatches is way to much work, just select the object you want to overprint and set it to overprint in the attributes panel. That's the way it should go and not set per color swatch…

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Overprint by colour does have some value and I like that, but when I do packaging design I sometimes need to add overprint to one element. It would be easier to have an option to just overprint that one element.  And seeing as overprinting is an option there has to be a way to preview the overprint.

• 1 month later...

I can recommend you set a Multiply blend mode for fill layer. For CMYK mode it's same as overprint. You can see the color mixing if it is not black.

But I agree Overprint preview and local overprint for objects is essential !

Windows 10 | AMD R7-2700 CPU | NVIDIA RTX 2060 | 8 GB RAM. Affinity: Photo, Designer licenses.

Graphical Designer | CG Generalist.

I do not know what I am doing wrong, I already had the overtprint in black, I export it to pdf and it does not apply, I do not want to regret buying this program but these details begin to harm me, there is no separation preview, yes or no ?

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.22.31.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.23.51.png

On 6/6/2020 at 8:24 PM, Hector45 said:

I do not know what I am doing wrong, I already had the overtprint in black, I export it to pdf and it does not apply, I do not want to regret buying this program but these details begin to harm me, there is no separation preview, yes or no ?

Which pdf preset do you use? In pdf export dialogue choose one of the PDF/X presets, say PDF/X-4

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 7:24 PM, Hector45 said:

No, obviously (and sadly) there is no separation preview yet. I wish there was, as these "details" as you put it are quite annoying to me , too. I'm actually a bit tired to have to run my Affinity exported PDFs through Acrobat Pro (which I fortunately have, but many among us may not) several times to hunt down those spots where these separation issues occur (most of due to Black not overprinting as it should).

As to your example screenshot: are you sure that "Global Colour 155" you apllied to your text is actually just 100 % K and nothing else?

More often than not I find that the colour applied to text that I was quite sure I had chosen Black (from the swatches panel) for wasn't actually 100% K but some "rich" Black containing degrees of CMY. I suspect that when I convert to or assign a CMYK colour profile to my document the grayscale swatches (including Black) don't get by default converted to just 100 % K (for Black) or percentages thereof (other grayscale tints). Or maybe elements which had been made "Black“ before retain their "old" mix-of-CMYK Black as those Grayscale swatches don't seem to be global by default.

This certainly is harming me an my joy of using the Affinity apps, too, as each and every time when I finally check my PDFs meant for printing there seems to be some issue of this kind – something that has been an absolute exception during 15+ years of working in InDesign...

• 1 year later...

On Mac, we now have a new, pretty nice, simple, and free solution: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2