You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Differences from PagePlus X9

I understand this is primarily a rebuild of the excellent PagePlus using new technology. Therefore my expectation would be as a minimum is that the features in X9 would be here and if they’ve been improved e.g. tables then that would be a bonus. May I ask though if there are any features that have been retired?

Thank you 

Hi beegeeblueboy

It is not a rebuild of PagePlus. Its a completely new separate DTP app, whilst they may end up doing the same things, it will not share features with PagePlus. Everything that is in Publisher is chosen because it is felt it is needed in the Affinity range rather than because it was in PP

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

7 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Hi beegeeblueboy

It is not a rebuild of PagePlus. Its a completely new separate DTP app, whilst they may end up doing the same things, it will not share features with PagePlus. Everything that is in Publisher is chosen because it is felt it is needed in the Affinity range rather than because it was in PP

Thanks Chris. 

I hope excluding features went through a rigorous business case justification so as not to alienate customers who use them. 

They won’t go back in but I hope the beta testers let their feelings be known. 

Many a company has lost business because it thought it knew better than its customers. 

4 minutes ago, beegeeblueboy said:

Thanks Chris. 

I hope excluding features went through a rigorous business case justification so as not to alienate customers who use them. 

They won’t go back in but I hope the beta testers let their feelings be known. 

Many a company has lost business because it thought it knew better than its customers. 

I'm with you on this.

I've been using Designer and love it.. i had a lot of expectation for Publisher... flyer creation, etc i can do in Designer.. Publisher just looks like a port of design with some features removed and document (pages/master pages added).. from New doc, just looks like designer.. even down to export option... what is the point?

I'm wanting to work on some small ebook publications for my site to be published via kindle/google play and itunes, their native formats would have been ideal (epub).

Looks like i'm sticking with PagePlus X9, although X9 looks like a packages built of years of grafting, it still offers more than what this offers publishers.

6 minutes ago, beegeeblueboy said:

I don’t think we should assume that any PP features are permanently excluded from the APub feature set, just because they happen not to be included in the first public beta release. As Chris has observed:

23 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

they may end up doing the same things

It remains to be seen, of course, to what extent that turns out to be true, and how long we’ll need to wait. There are bound to be many features which don’t make it into version 1.x of the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, GreyEyes said:

I'm with you on this.

I've been using Designer and love it.. i had a lot of expectation for Publisher... flyer creation, etc i can do in Designer.. Publisher just looks like a port of design with some features removed and document (pages/master pages added).. from New doc, just looks like designer.. even down to export option... what is the point?

I'm wanting to work on some small ebook publications for my site to be published via kindle/google play and itunes, their native formats would have been ideal (epub).

Looks like i'm sticking with PagePlus X9, although X9 looks like a packages built of years of grafting, it still offers more than what this offers publishers.

I think you guys are being a bit unfair. I too am a regular user of X9 and APUB does not feel like it was ported from Designer but it feels very much like X9. Also with a BETA of something that has been developed from scratch, you have to start from somewhere. If every feature that is requested would be implemented into APUB, then you would not have what you have today. This is a very promising start and you should cut the team some slack and give them time to digest and take back the suggestions and see how they implement & move them forward. 

7 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t think we should assume that any PP features are permanently excluded from the APub feature set, just because they happen not to be included in the first public beta release. As Chris has observed:

It remains to be seen, of course, to what extent that turns out to be true, and how long we’ll need to wait. There are bound to be many features which don’t make it into version 1.x of the app.

The BIG feature that was left out of Affinity DTP is Serif X9 would open .PPP files. Affinity does not even see .PPP files. I have years worth of .PPP files that will have to be recreated rather than imported. I have used Page Plus since version 3.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @frankmor. :)

2 minutes ago, frankmor said:

The BIG feature that was left out of Affinity DTP is Serif X9 would open .PPP files. Affinity does not even see .PPP files. I have years worth of .PPP files that will have to be recreated rather than imported. I have used Page Plus since version 3.

What are the Affinity apps supposed to do with PP features for which there is no Affinity equivalent?

I would have liked to be able to import WritePlus *.stt files, but at least we can publish to PDF and open the result in any Affinity app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, frankmor said:

Same with Designer and Photo, can't import prior DrawPlus or PhotoPlus saved files... with DrawPlus, i exported to PDF and spent ages sorting the artefacts issues out... counter protective.

7 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @frankmor. :)

What are the Affinity apps supposed to do with PP features for which there is no Affinity equivalent?

I would have liked to be able to import WritePlus *.stt files, but at least we can publish to PDF and open the result in any Affinity app.

Like they do with unsupported PSD options.. there is a PSD import.. not their own.