You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've managed to set up bleeds but a Slug feature is still important. I use the slug area for additional information in FMCG packaging work (exporting PDF from Indesign). It would be an important feature for me, anyone else?

@sc300 Do you actually need a 'feature' for the slug are? Can't you simply place text or info outside the page and then export the page with, say, 10 or 15 mm bleed to include this stuff in the export? Is there a difference?

@Fixx What do you need bleed guides for? When I get a file with them, they normally confuse me, because they look like a second set of cropmarks. What is their actual use?

32 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

@sc300 Do you actually need a 'feature' for the slug are? Can't you simply place text or info outside the page and then export the page with, say, 10 or 15 mm bleed to include this stuff in the export? Is there a difference?

The supply chain prefer the crop marks to be close to the artwork when stepping up the artwork on a plate. They mask out the slug info but keep the crop marks so the guillotine operator has a reference. If the crops are too far out, they would need to add them in manually themselves. (attached is a wrap label showing trims & creases. N.B.Final art is supplied as a pdf without that overlay)

pack-example.pdf

I would love to see added to the marks is fold lines and even the possibility for die cuts and preferations added to the printers marks on pdf export - BTW it looks great and love how familiar it feels - looking forward to your final squishy brick company ;)  killer - A motion graphics / video editor 

Crop (printer's trim) marks are very important for me, especially at final output to PDF. Soon please!

MacOS 10.14.5  –  MBP   –  16Gb DDR  –  500Gb Crucial SSD

Affinity Publisher (beta)   Affinity Designer   Affinity Photo

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I also need the slug area. I print photographic prints that I facemount behind acrylic. I need a custom slug area for attaching the print to a sled or leader board during the lamination process without messing up the final image area.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 10:58 AM, Ravenmad said:

I found the bleed marks and how to set them into the pdf but when i try to export the doc it tells me no way as there are errors??

I had a problem with an error outputting a pdf. It turned out that a font was to blame. Have you checked that that could be the case?  ie remove any text from the document and output the pdf.

• 1 month later...

SLUG.  I don't know if this has been solved via a workaround but what I do for a DL Brochure, for example, is set my bleed to 12mm in the document set up which will be my slug,  then create and centre a box 3mm larger all around than the page with a .5pt white stroke and no fill to represent my bleed. Then I place a dashed .5pt in Rego colour on the fold divisions from the edge of the page to the new "slug". You can have these on a locked layer if wanted. The point here is when you make your PDF,  the options allow you to show bleed and of course, in this case, it is the 12mm one that shows including the fold marks. The graphics you drag out to the created bleed box get cut off anyway at the trim marks and so a .5pt stroke around the box is still within tolerance (put the stroke on the outside of the box!). Printers marks in the pdf options should only set Trim Marks which will be unaffected and the pdf will be shown as correct for printing.

My 5c.

15 hours ago, Linz53 said:

SLUG.  I don't know if this has been solved via a workaround but what I do for a DL Brochure, for example, is set my bleed to 12mm in the document set up which will be my slug,  then create and centre a box 3mm larger all around than the page with a .5pt white stroke and no fill to represent my bleed.

This workaround is OK if your work isn't being stepped at the printer. If it is being stepped, then the automatic crop marks are too far away (obscuring them when the artwork is stepped) and the printer will have to make their own crop marks at prepress.

So far I am having to draw manual crop marks. In my case when I am creating wrap bands (for packaging) I set my bleed to 25mm on one edge so I can add the production info I need and 10mm on the other sides to make room for artwork bleed and crop marks. I draw my crop marks 3 - 5mm from the page edge depending on the printers requirements. So the production info sits outside the crop marks. Which is a lot of fiddling about.

If Affinity adds a slug feature, or at least the ability to set a custom offset for crop marks (from the page edge) this will save a lot of extra work.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand how something as essential as the slug area has been overlooked in the first place and why it hasn't been added at this stage. I've bought all there apps but don't use them as I'm not putting in the time to learn new apps when ultimately they can't fit into my workflow… and its a pretty standard workflow for a graphic designer, i.e. getting files ready to send to printers. So for the moment they just take up space on my hard drive!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG please!

Another truly sluggish request for SLUG - I guess they've been working on this for a few years......................... at snails pace  -  CANADA DRRRRRRRRRRR-EYE!!!!!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 month later...