You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ruler/Grid Zero

I'm really excited about this! I've been an Indesign user since it came out, and Pagemaker before that... I can't afford to upgrade to the Cloud version, and the old version I was using (CS5.5) won't run under High Sierra, so I'm well and truly stuck. I haven't really tried it properly yet, but I've had a quick fiddle about.

I have two things I'd like to see - the first has been mentioned several times already, which is the ability to import Indesign documents. The second relates to working in the document. It'd be very useful to be able to move the ruler/grid zero to a specific point (as previously requested for Designer): it makes working things out much easier than always having to subtract margin widths; sometimes moving the zero to a particular place in a column helps.

Yes, yes, yes!!!!   That is a feature I have been hoping for ever since the first time last year we were asked for suggestions.  I am sure that everybody who has ever used InDesign (and before that Pagemaker) has found that particular feature a godsend.  Particularly now that we are (I hope) temporarily stuck with gazillions of points, being able, for example,  to drag a new zero point to 306 (25p6 picas) would be a huge help. 

There must be thousands and thousands of fed-up Adobe victims waiting for the first commercially-ready version of Affinity Publisher.  I do so hope that they will consider this.  Meanwhile, we can import and edit InDesign documents if they are first converted to PDF.  Not ideal, but very workable in the meantime. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I was able to move the zero point to a new spot in my document but the guides I drag out still think the zero point is the top-left corner.

My image starts at 8 inches from the left-hand margin but when I drag a guide out to the edge of the image it reads 8.292 inches.

My error or Beta issue?

37 minutes ago, fergyman said:

I was able to move the zero point to a new spot in my document but the guides I drag out still think the zero point is the top-left corner.

My image starts at 8 inches from the left-hand margin but when I drag a guide out to the edge of the image it reads 8.292 inches.

My error or Beta issue?

Same here... Only the grid shows the new starting point. I agree with you than when I drag a new guide, the distance shown is from top left corner of document.  I think (and I hope) it's a beta issue.

On 9/1/2018 at 2:25 PM, Arun Sarkar said:

Yes, Publisher has that feature.

Zerolock.webm

Haven't a clue how to open your video.  My Sierra MAC is unamused.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9