You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Also would be nice to have bleed/cropmarks work consistently between the 3 Affinity apps.   Last I checked Affinity Photo and Designer both handled crops differently and unconventionally.
Major reason I stopped trying to use them for professional print work was because of the differences in how they handled bleed & crop.   (unless that's changed since the last time I looked at them and tested for my design workflow.)

Yep, the app is looking brill. But, I won't use it unless bleed is working, and working consistently. For example, I set the document bleed post-document creation (because, as noted, you can't at the point of creation, yet). When I added a new page to the document, it never inherited the bleed and was set to 0mm. Even after right-clicking on the page or spread in the pages list and creating the bleed individually for the spread, it wouldn't show for bleeds which were images (background image on the page with a bleed), but would for simple solid blocks of colours.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, martincf said:

Yep, the app is looking brill. But, I won't use it unless bleed is working, and working consistently. For example, I set the document bleed post-document creation (because, as noted, you can't at the point of creation, yet). When I added a new page to the document, it never inherited the bleed and was set to 0mm. Even after right-clicking on the page or spread in the pages list and creating the bleed individually for the spread, it wouldn't show for bleeds which were images (background image on the page with a bleed), but would for simple solid blocks of colours.

The bug you mention is already fixed for the next version that has a 'Show Bleed' view menu item :)

adding this form another bleed post:

And also there seems to be no gutter bleed. I am making a photo book project and I want to use bleed. I can work around the not knowing how far the bleed goes with enlarging the picture frame by the bleed size. But if both images go in the gutter the, one is going to overflow the other. Maybe this is a problem that the spread pdf cannot be exported as single pages...

6 hours ago, pure&simple said:

Apart from making the bleed visible by showing the page borders please make view mode hiding everthing outside the page for a compete final preview with no visible bleed. Apart from that, printing only when using default settings. any other setting ends up blanc.

This is split up into two different settings. Hide all Guides as you mentioned hides everything else, and View → View Mode → Clip to Canvas makes the bleed area invisible. 
I would also appreciate a single command for that, but that seems to be a design choice.

Not sure how bleed is not there. I just downloaded the beta and that is the first thing I noticed when setting up a new document. This of all things is one of the most basic needs for print and setting things up. Unless it is hidden I did not see any option to even export a PDF with bleeds which makes this software completely unusable. Yes I know it is a beta, but really this is such a basic feature not sure why it would not be in first release.

I do love the speed, which is something Affinity has excelled at. I do not use any of their software for live production work but do own Designer and Photo and appreciate how slick it is, Adobe has nothing on Affinity in this regard. Will run it through some tests with large heavy files I have in Indesign and see how it handles it, but again without the option for bleed I can do nothing with the app other then test when I have the time.  

6 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Not sure how bleed is not there. I just downloaded the beta and that is the first thing I noticed when setting up a new document. This of all things is one of the most basic needs for print and setting things up. Unless it is hidden I did not see any option to even export a PDF with bleeds which makes this software completely unusable. Yes I know it is a beta, but really this is such a basic feature not sure why it would not be in first release.

I do love the speed, which is something Affinity has excelled at. I do not use any of their software for live production work but do own Designer and Photo and appreciate how slick it is, Adobe has nothing on Affinity in this regard. Will run it through some tests with large heavy files I have in Indesign and see how it handles it, but again without the option for bleed I can do nothing with the app other then test when I have the time.  

The option to export PDFs with bleed is definitely there, but it needs to be more obvious, I think.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 5.10.08 PM.png

The bleed option is there, it’s just very hidden. You have to go to File → Document Setup → The third tab is “Bleed”. Sadly there is no line on the border in the document view that actually shows the bleed area. When exporting you will find “iclude bleed” and also “include printers marks” in the “more” section. 

6 hours ago, MattP said:

The bug you mention is already fixed for the next version that has a 'Show Bleed' view menu item :)

As you can see here, the handling of bleed is already an issue being addressed. I’m positive that in the version 1 release the handling will be much more delightful. 

15 hours ago, rcheetah said:

This is split up into two different settings. Hide all Guides as you mentioned hides everything else, and View → View Mode → Clip to Canvas makes the bleed area invisible. 
I would also appreciate a single command for that, but that seems to be a design choice.

Thx, that works super. By the way, there is a single command, just use '\' when not working on text and hide/show bleed area.

15 hours ago, coolieranx said:

The option to export PDFs with bleed is definitely there, but it needs to be more obvious, I think.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 5.10.08 PM.png

Thanks, I did miss that and yes it should be more prominent as anyone exporting for print or plates will be having bleed on most jobs. I guess once you know it is there then you can't miss it but I certainly did. Indesign has a whole section labeled "marks and bleed" you cannot miss it. Even with this post I had to scan over the image a few times before I found it. 

Would like to see support for bleed, to choose how much bleed, if I only want bleed on one side, all sides, top, bottom, etc. I know they want to be different then Indesign, but you need to take some of pointers from them, they are the KING of page layout software and have done things incredibly well. Also as others have mentioned need to see bleed guides on the pages, and again need customization of different size of bleed, choice of all around, or only the sides we want bleed.

**edit** Just found a bleed option under Document setup that does give customization for bleed on each side individually. I am assuming when exporting as PDF if uses this documents setting for bleed?   

• Staff
57 minutes ago, wonderings said:

**edit** Just found a bleed option under Document setup that does give customization for bleed on each side individually. I am assuming when exporting as PDF if uses this documents setting for bleed?   

Yes, that's correct :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.