You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cross platform purchase option

That clearly isn’t going to happen as long as retail versions of the Affinity apps for Mac are sold exclusively through the Mac App Store.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It might be helpful for you but I think it would be bad for Serif. They are not Adobe, they are not charging us a monthly rate to rent their software. I have a Mac, a PC and an iPad Pro and I have bought licenses for all three of those platforms for both Designer and Photo and soon for Publisher. 

With the recent Designer for iPad promotion and the sales they had for the desktop versions,  a person just coming to the Affinity line could have bought Designer for iPad, Mac, and Windows and Photo for iPad, Mac and Windows and it would have cost them all of what?, $175???

I used to pay for Adobe CC and just for the Photoshop/Lightroom and Illustrator plans and it cost me $382.56 a year. And the next year it would have cost me $382.56 and the next year it would have cost me $382.56. Now, yeah, I can install them on my Mac and PC but there were no iPad versions. You add up the cost over a 10 year span, assuming no price hikes and I would have paid out $3,825 to Adobe. Now I personally have spent $215 for the Affinity apps I have for the 3 platforms. Even if in a 10 year span I have to pay for the upgrade cost to version 2 and 3 of the Affinity line, I am still making out like a bandit and pocketing $3200. That is $3200 that can pay for the cost of a new iPad Pro AND a new PC. 

When you look at it through that lens, which again, is just my personal take, isn't Serif's approach fair and just? Now I am all for purchasing a license to any of the Affinity apps and having it be cross platform but there would have to be a price increase. To expect to pay $50 for a license that entitles you to the Mac, PC and iOS is just folly. I mean, Serif has different development teams, they have to pay the bills, the employees, etc.

Now yeah, hypothetically, say there was no Mac App Store and Serif decided to go in different way, would people be willing to pay $100, 125, 150 for a license that allows them to install it on Mac, PC or iOS? I think that would be a dubious proposition and a serious gamble on Serif's part. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Mama Leah said:

It would be helpful to be able to use in mac and iPhone and iOS without having to buy two one mobile and one mac

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Mama Leah. :)

All of the Affinity apps are currently on sale at 50% off, so for less than the regular price of the Mac version you can buy both the Mac version and the iPad version.

There is currently no iPhone version of any of the Affinity apps, nor does it seem likely that there ever will be.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

Hello; I have Affinity Photo on a Mac I was given but the Mac doesn't run well and I am wiping it clean and giving it away. I just got a windows 11 laptop. Do I need to buy another copy of Photo, or can I switch it to windows?

12 hours ago, Noorkhan said:

Do I need to buy another copy of Photo, or can I switch it to windows?

You will need to buy another copy

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.