Ade19

Personas in Publisher Beta

Hi,

Installed Publisher on 2009 MBP running EL Capitan V10.11.6 with any problems. Initial quick test seems OK but, and not sure if this is an issue, if I click on Vector Persona I get this message in attached screen shot. Same occurs if I click Photo Persona. I have the latest App Store version of Affinity Photo and Designer.

thanks

Ade

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 14.04.14.png

"A compatible version of Affinity Designer is required" is the error I get when clicking Affinity Designer from Affinity Publisher. Note I have purchased both Photo and Designer and both are installed on the machine?

error.png

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I have moved your post to this related thread.

Hey Patrick? Since you have so little to do over the weekend*, may I suggest also consolidating all the topics reporting the non-hiding slider bug into one topic? :72_imp:

*just kidding! 

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

may I suggest also consolidating all the topics...

if the posts overlap in time then they merge into something that does not read well chronologically, so I only tend to merge single new threads into existing threads as I know they will go neatly at the bottom. One solution (I use occasionally) is to lock all threads (bar one popular thread) and post into those locked threads a link to the remaining popular unlocked one, but that is a lot of work and assumes that the threads only discuss one issue and locking is not going to appear high handed, so I have stopped doing that for now.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

... but that is a lot of work ...

I hope you noticed the "just kidding" footnote in my post. I can't even begin to imagine how much work it would take to read every one of the torrent of topics started in this forum since Thursday morning, much less consolidate even a fraction of them!

I hope Serif gives you & the other mods a sizable bonus for dealing with this as well as you are. 

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

I'm just curious... how will the Designer and Photo personas work within Affinity Publisher? Do they kick your document to one of the apps for editing and then closing? Or will they work like personas in the other apps where they keep you in app and provide you a different toolset? Seeing the actual application icons makes me think you'll open the document in that app. Is that correct?

I think "Vector Persona" is a good clue here.  It is the name of the main persona within Affinity Designer.

I suspect that when Designer is available, the Vector Persona will effectively convert Publisher to use the Vector Persona from Designer, not switch to the entire Designer app (there is an option in the File menu for opening the file in the other apps already, so this definitely seems to be different from that).

I would then hypothesize that the Photo Persona opens the primary persona from Affinity Photo (called the Photo Persona) within Publisher.  Again, for the other personas within Photo, you would use the option in the file menu to actually re-open the file in the other app.

This is just a pseudo-educated guess based on the various hints floating around and the persona names, but it's what I've got for now :12_slight_smile:

On 9/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, HYR said:

Do they kick your document to one of the apps for editing and then closing?

It seemed to me that you run the drawing and photo personas from within Publisher. Quark and ID have had limited drawing and photo editing tools so I think Affinity will one up the competitors by offering more then just very basic editing right from within the layout tool. If this is the way Affinity works with Designer and Photo I don't see why Publisher would be much different with personas.