You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Indian language support

2 hours ago, solarbear said:

is it possible to decouple Indic script support and RTL support, and have separate releases for them rather than trying to club them together?

This would however prevent having multilanguage documents. I would prefer to have a single program supporting all the languages at the same time.

Paolo

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

There is nothing to be gained by splitting the applications, only downsides.

Thanks for your input, Mike. I'm actually in complete agreement with you: I read @solarbear’s suggestion of “separate releases” as a plea for Serif to add Indic support and RTL support separately, rather than waiting until they can add both at the same time. I certainly wouldn’t want to see the Affinity apps split into versions that support additional features and versions that don’t.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

This would however prevent having multilanguage documents. I would prefer to have a single program supporting all the languages at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I'm actually in complete agreement with you: I read @solarbear’s suggestion of “separate releases” as a plea for Serif to add Indic support and RTL support separately, rather than waiting until they can add both at the same time. I certainly wouldn’t want to see the Affinity apps split into versions that support additional features and versions that don’t.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for your input, Mike. I'm actually in complete agreement with you: I read @solarbear’s suggestion of “separate releases” as a plea for Serif to add Indic support and RTL support separately, rather than waiting until they can add both at the same time. I certainly wouldn’t want to see the Affinity apps split into versions that support additional features and versions that don’t.

Ah, well that makes sense. 

Complex ltr, at least Indic ltr, will likely arrive before rtl. At least that's what I would do. There isn't a lot of additional OpenType features to add to make it work plus no bi-directional handling to suss out. 

Some readers may remember that a while ago we managed to get some designs produced using Affinity Designer with colour fonts, even though Affinity does not at present support colour fonts.

This was by exporting a graphic design that included text typeset in a colour font as an svg file, without converting the text to curves, then displaying the svg graphic using Microsoft Edge, then gathering a Print Screen image.

I am just wondering if that would work, monochrome, for Indian language support.

I don't know enough about Indian language support to try it myself.

Is it worth a try? It might work, it might not. It would depend on how well the Browser supports OpenType and having a suitable font.

If it works, it might have some uses, probably not for a novel, but might be good for a birthday card.

Whether it woud be good for a one page print of a poem amongst artwork might be borderline.

If the technique works at all.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Is it worth trying?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I don't know enough about Indian language support to try it myself.

What do you need to know about the target language? Can’t you simply ask Google Translate or Bing Microsoft Translator to translate from (say) English to Malayalam and then test whether the translated text displays correctly in a browser after export to SVG from an Affinity app? :/

Google Translate:

ഭാഗ്യം ധീരരെ അനുകൂലിക്കുന്നു

Bing Microsoft Translator:

ഭാഗ്യം ധീരന്മാർക്ക് അനുകൂലമാണ്

Alfred spacer.png

Well, some time ago I read about indian languages in part of The Unicode Standard.

It is very interesting but i know that I do not know enough about it to be able to carry put a test nor, even if i could carry out a test, enough to know if the test has worked. One woukd need an appropriate OpenType font.

So I have put forward an idea.

If someone who knows how to encode some test text as Unicode characters and could judge whether the output from Microsoft Edge is what is wanted, and someone (who may but need not be the same person) can reference a free font, I would be happy to participate in producing the svg file and run the test if requested.

But someone might be able to do the test themself and it might be that it needs a proprietary font that I do not have.

I have just put forward the idea as a possibilty that may or may not work.

If it works, it might be of practical usefulness in some circumstances.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I got an email notification of a post to this thread, timed at 10:15 today, commenting on my post, but the post is not appearing in the thread. Does anyone know why please?

William

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I got an email notification of a post to this thread, timed at 10:15 today, commenting on my post, but the post is not appearing in the thread. Does anyone know why please?

William

Yeah, it was me. I had to delete it as there was a mistake on my part.

I tried your method, and it works on the browser. If the text is not so long, I usually use the glyph browser to type Indian languages as it will help to display ligatures correctly. So, no need to open it in a browser and print screen.

Linktree | Freebies

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher | 1.10.6
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version 22H2
Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, MikeW said:

Maybe not a good idea if for no other reason of splitting the applications into yet more separate applications that require yet more development time/resources.

Mainly, these are OpenType features that once added and processed by the Affinity applications present the text runs on the design surface properly. At least for complex LTR scripts. The same for RTL with the addition of handling bidi text runs.

There is nothing to be gained by splitting the applications, only downsides.

I was probably not very clear. Of course the application should not be split, all I am saying is that these features can be introduced in separate releases.

• 1 month later...

Please include Indian languages and fonts. It limits our hands to our dynamic customers. Affinity will be just fabulous with this addon. And one more request like how we have import stock images from Pexels and Pixabay, it will be good if we have similar libraries like canva template  (abstract designs- drag and drop)

Wrt Indian language Adobe gives the option to select South Asian language in preference and language. It will be great if Affinity also does something similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Started working on our annual magazine in Bengali, and you know which of my favorite software I could not use for creating it?

This is going on for too long folks. I am not sure why this is not getting enough traction from Serif. As I said earlier, I do understand that there are complexities involved in supporting Indic scripts, but I am sure you have handled other complex situations. What do you need to bring this requirement to the limelight? Adobe's solution was to use a distinct control for Indic scripts in InDesign (the World Ready Composer), can we at least do that in Affinity even if that control is not full featured? Pretty please?

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased the new Affinity V2 Universal Licence. Quite disappointed with Affinity to find out that there is still no support for Indian Languages, Telugu in my case. Cant be sure of other Indian languages.  Really hoped that serif would include the support in Version 2. Please make this a priority feature request. 

Hope affinity will do it soon.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:03 PM, Ravi Chandra said:

Purchased the new Affinity V2 Universal Licence. Quite disappointed with Affinity to find out that there is still no support for Indian Languages, Telugu in my case. Cant be sure of other Indian languages.  Really hoped that serif would include the support in Version 2. Please make this a priority feature request. 

Hope affinity will do it soon.

Same3 here. Just purchased the V2 universal license, but no luck. So far I have purchased multiple licenses for each of the V1 products and now V2, but no luck with Indic scripts so far. Still having to use InDesign/Scribus for my work.

6 hours ago, solarbear said:

Same3 here. Just purchased the V2 universal license, but no luck. So far I have purchased multiple licenses for each of the V1 products and now V2, but no luck with Indic scripts so far. Still having to use InDesign/Scribus for my work.

I have v1 and I downloaded and installed v2 trial (luckily I didn't buy) on a MacBook . Sinhala (unicode) font rendering is still broken.

Affinity team, Fixing this must be #1 priority for a commercial designer tool IMO. Your product is not usable for considerable portion of the world population. 🤦‍♂️