You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Indian language support

Hi - when will all your products support text entry in Indian languages? I'm trying to use the Devanagari keyboard along with Devanagari fonts to type text into your programs (Photo, Publisher Beta), and they do not render Indian language text correctly. This type of Unicode support is standard across the Mac OS and also exists in most third-party programs. For example, when I use Pixelmator, or Pages or Keynote, it works fine. But your products don't seem to support this yet. Please look into this - it's very important to a lot of users out there.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, nbarman said:

Do you know of ANY ANSI Indic fonts that support Unicode? I don't believe it's possible to type real Hindi text using an ANSI Indic font unless you have specialized keyboard software to enable that...

QuarkXPress now handles Indic OpenType fonts. It was added recently and will likely be a work in progress for a while as Quark works on other LTR scripts.

capture-002554.png.185d422050c22321942aa4977bfac94f.png

• 2 months later...

In India most of the publishers are struggling with the Adobe's Cloud Subscription. We want to buy Affinity publisher, but it doesn't support Indic languages.

Please add support for Indic languages, I will buy it with that I will recommend all my friends.

Do you have any time frame or plan for this?

• 4 weeks later...

Support for Indic scripts is a key feature missing from Affinity products at this point which critically impacts my workflow. I have to jump through a lot of hoops for something that should be as simple as text input. Based on the large number of designers working on Indic languages, I do not imagine this is a problem impacting a small number of users. Affinity is a wonderful suite of products, thanks a lot to the team for giving us this great set of tools! My request to the team is to expedite adding support for Indic scripts if possible. This will help a lot in reducing dependency on other products including CC.

• 1 month later...

WO, I really did not expect this. I was in the illusion that Affinity would by default support the basic features such as this! 

Humongous request,
Kindly do it as soon as possible. It is just is a necessity. हिंदी!

• 2 months later...

Affinity is not displaying Telugu language correctly.  Have spent about 3 hours trying to find a font that Affinity would display correctly and without success.  I then find this forum that shows Affinity doesn't support the fonts.  Adobe supports them.  I didn't want to go back to Adobe but may have to now.  I need to get this done. Why is this not fixed?  People have been asking for it for over a year!

Please advise when it is complete.

Kind Regards

Stu

Edited by smillarbitworks

• 1 month later...

Indian languages support (fonts showing up distorted) is a major issue in Affinity suite of products, and critically limits its usage for users like me. Otherwise it is a great product and value for money. Indian language users are handicapped by this issue. The fact that we can't even cut and paste from tools such as Google transliteration is very very disappointing. I request Affinity to fix this or at least provide a timeline for fixing the same. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

For All the Indic Language users , As for now until this feature is updated in AP and AD, I would suggest you all to use Inkscape to create Typography and save it as a plain SVG document and use import that document to Affinity Photo. It will be use useful to change the color of that typography.

• 3 months later...

I have recently purchased Affinity Publisher (Windows Version). Really fantastic tool and pricing is affordable for average Indian user. However I join others in bringing to your kind attention, the missing support for text input in  Indian Languages. If done, the affinity suite will penetrate well in Indian sub-continent. Regards- SUDHEER

• 1 month later...

+1 for Indian languages support. It's much needed now. We've to rely on other apps just for creating/designing something with Indic languages.

Linktree | Freebies

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher | 1.10.6
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version 22H2
Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

Everyone here has been waiting a long time for an update to solve the India languages issue but we don’t know what is happening. I don’t think Affinity is doing anything about it. I like Affinity but I can’t wait forever! If they are working on a fix then please let us know, currently there is zero response which just leaves us all in the dark. Please, just let us know whether you are or aren’t doing anything about this! Thank you. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To all those in search of inDesign alternative for indic unicode open type fonts, we already have Microsoft  Publisher. I have tried it, tested for Hindi and Gujarati open type unicode fonts and found very satisfactorily.

Though it's user interface for Page making is not very intuitive without panels, but at least it offers almost all the feature inDesign offers for a book compilation. I have tested it to design a monthly magazine having English, Hindi and Gujarati features all in the same issue for 5 years. Worth trying!

Give it a try!